Premed 101 Forums

gpa bonus

Guest okaycomeonnow

Guest okaycomeonnow

hi:

Does anyone else remember reading something about a gpa bonus for grad students? I thought I saw a 0.2 bonus for grad students, but I can't remember where I read that. If anyone else has seen this and can let me know that would be very helpful.

thanx!

Guest medeng

do you mean pre or post interview?

pre-interview I believe you are compared to the other grad applicants, they don't really say what the formula is (ie weight of research productivity vs. sketch vs. GPA)

post-interview I'm not sure what happens... but I would like to know!

Guest okaycomeonnow

for some reason I'm thinking it was post-interview. i wish i remember where i saw this - hopefully someone out there might know!

Guest satsumargirl

Hey,

As far as I know there is no GPA bonus for grads.

Grads and undergrads go through the same wGPA process. If grads meet the GPA cut-off they go to the next step along with the undergrads (thankfully this is what happened to me and I didn't have to go through the grad package part!)

If they do not meet the GPA cut-off their files go to a grad review committee and they are compared to other grads (for productivity etc.) and are selected to interview from there. What the specific criteria is and how/if they adjust you mark from there I do not know, but it would only help you get an interview.

Once in the interview, however, nothing else matters really except the interview score.

Hope that helps

Guest medeng

Thankfully I got through the undergrad screening too (I'm from Ottawa). Where the GPA comes in again is if you are in the interview score group (ie the score out of 4, in .25 increments) then they rank you by GPA... I'm not sure what happens to grad GPAs here...

I also worry a bit that I'll be in trouble here, as my GPA is not as high as the Ontario or OOP people... Just have to hope that I'm above the breakpoint!

For those graduate subcommittee applicants the WGPA is modified by dividing your undergraduate WGPA by 2 and then adding 2 to that score. This was more effective boast when they accepted undergraduate WGPA's at 3.3 but they have raised the minimum to 3.5 in the last year or so. Anyway pretending you had a 3.6 WGPA you would divide that by 2 to get 1.8 and then you would add 2 for an adjusted weighted graduate point average of 3.8.

Hope this helps,

g22g

edited: the formula was not published in the guide after all. ;)

Guest Talon01

g22g

I was hoping you'd be able to answer this question for me. Currently I'm technically a graduate student (Physical Therapy @ UWO), however, my program is more of an academic grad program in the sense research isn't my primary focus. Would I still be considered a graduate application and would the above 'formula' apply to my undergraduate GPA (3.85)?

Hi Talon,

If you have been given subcommittee status and submitted a proof of productivity packet then and only then do you receive the bonus. The bonus was intended to level out the WGPA modifier because by being in the subcommittee you inherently have a low undergraduate WGPA but have done so well academically (A average) in your graduate work.

Hope this helps,

g22g

Guest shudvbeenafarmer

Hey all,

At the info session at the interviews on Thursday, they explained that yes, there is a different weighting scale for grad students.

As mentioned in the above post:

WGPA/2 + 2 = GPA for grad students

Cheers,

Farmer

Guest wattyjl

just to add and hopefully clarify:

the bonus (as mentioned above - wGPA/2+2) applies to people considered in graduate subcommittee pool (had to send in extra grad-studies info), and applies for your post-interview gpa calculation.

we were told that the way students were ranked post-interview (to determine who gets an offer of admission) is that the interview score (out of 4, with decrements of .25) is rated with highest priority, and gpa second.

so, all individuals with a perfect 4.0 interview score would then be ranked by order of wGPA. grad students get that special formula to compensate for their required A average during gradschool. this way, undergrads and grads are compared mono-et-mono post-interview.

so after all the 4.0's are ranked by gpa, then they go to the 3.75's, rank further by gpa, the 3.5's, rank further by gpa, etc., til they get to 133 (or, i guess 91 for the english program), and then they send out those offers.

so basically, if you killed the interview, your gpa is irrelevant and you'll get an offer.

hope that's clear.

edit: oops - this was just discussed in another thread. though i find it odd that the info we were given by the admin office on interview day doesn't quite seem to be the same as what g22g is reporting. oh well, since we won't know our scores i guess it doesn't really matter anyway.

Guest okaycomeonnow

hi:

is this a secret process for the selection system (ie, the 4.0, 3.75, 3.50, etc...) that someone heard through a friend or was that described at the info session?

Guest avarrin2001

"is this a secret process for the selection system (ie, the 4.0, 3.75, 3.50, etc...) that someone heard through a friend or was that described at the info session? "

- We were told by Nicole Racine on the day of the interview

Guest okaycomeonnow

any know if ottawa gives a bonus to ottawa-area people? how would people with a 3.6 be competitive if they didn't have a really good interview?

Guest wattyjl

i think the point is: nobody is competetive unless they give a good interview (/receive a good interview score). 4.0 or 3.0 gpa, doesn't really matter, since interview score is how everyone is initially stratified.

gpa matters if your interview score is around the cutoff area, obviously.

Archived