Premed 101 Forums

how are interviews going?

Guest doctorinthehouse

Guest doctorinthehouse

I was wondering how everyone's interviews have been going so far at UofO? I had my interview last week and it was harder than I had expected. It went okay, but it could have gone a lot better I think. How does everyone think they did? Did anyone else find it more difficult than expected?

Guest avarrin2001

Hey,

I cant answer that, since, I havent had my interview yet. I was just wondering what you meant by hard - were the questions really difficult, or were the interviewers hard to read? I have been hearing horror stories of interviews in the past and I'm getting nervous! Almost everyone i have talked with has mentioned that interviewing at Ottawa U is the most difficult and most unpleasant of all schools... ugh. Isnt that something to look forward too!

Well, I have nothing to compare it to since it's the only med interview I've gone through, but I have to say that it went fairly well and nowhere near as bad as some of the horror stories I've heard.

The questions weren't hard in the fact that you should know the answers to them. LOL that sounds so cryptic but think about it :)

Guest doctorinthehouse

there were a few questions that I wasn't expecting at all (I obviously can't say what they were). UofO also really likes to play the good cop/bad cop thing.

Guest everyoneloveschem

I too was worried about good cop/bad cop, or worse, totally apathetic interviewers. I was pleasantly surprised. While I didn't get a lot of feedback from my interviewers (their facial expressions were quite blank), they seemed courteous. They would ask the question, let me answer, and then follow up with more questions or ask for more clarification. No attacking, nothing too bad. That being said, I was actually pretty relaxed by the time I went into the interview (having gone on the tour and the information session), and I had done my prep work.

MY boyfriend hi-jacked my computer and wrote the following, but I don't think its very helpful!:rollin

"I am also in the opinion that my fiancee helped me quite a bit. He is particularly cute and articulate and helped me to remember that I have those qualities too. He pracitced asking questions with me and told me where to improve. I was frustrated at the time, but that paid out dividends in the end. I am extraordinarily happy that he asked me to marry him and I of course said yes. I feel he's a great catch and that I am lucky to have him. But please, don't tell him that. His head will swell like a rotten raccoon roadkill. Nasty stuff that."

My interview wasn't too bad - no really hard questions. I also found that I didn't get much feedback from the interviewers. They asked the question, I answered, and then on to the next question. They rotated among each other asking questions and the questions weren't really related. Of course, thinking back, I wished I answered some of the questions better, but overall I think it was a great experience.

Guest mm201

My experience was similar to others who posted so far. The interviewers were very nice, but it was very difficult to see if they liked the answers or not (2 were taking a lot of notes, one was not). Some answers were followed by questions asking for clarification on other topics they just went onto the next question. The interview went by really quickly. Thinking about some of the questions I think I could give a better answer now, but this is probably inevitable.

Guest wannabdoc

hey mm201,

were you interviewed on march 15th? I remember one of the girls i was talking to was from McGill. anyways I also think that I could have answered some questions better. So i guess i am not the only one feeling a bit down after the interview. My reaction is similar to others.

Guest Talon01

Howdy Yall,

Glad to hear the interviews are going somewhat ok. I've been preparing by trying to follow some news stories, review the typical why med, strengths and weaknesses, why medicine, etc questions. Is there anything else I can do to prepare?

Thanks in advance,

Scotty

Guest doctorinthehouse

First to Scotty, what you're doing seems to work the best. Just keep up with that stuff, and you'll basically cover the majority of questions. If they are going to ask a really odd question, there is really no way you can prepare for every question.

IBMD, I think that the best thing to do in that situation is just be aware of it. Since you know it's not going to just be a casual conversation (and that there is going to be someone looking to poke holes in your answers) just watch everything you say and make sure you don't mention something you really don't want to talk about. Anything you say, even just in passing, is free game. Also, look at weaknesses or other things in your ABS that they can pick at, and have defenses ready.

Guest Talon01

What is this reall weird question? Is it like a shocking personal question? Is it just to throw me off my feet? Is it about me at all? :\

Guest doctorinthehouse

example that a friend of mine got one year:

If you could be any inanimate object, what would you be and why?

Questions that you just really don't expect, or haven't thought of an answer to.

Guest cmitchelca

I had my interview last week and I thought it went really well. The interviewers were really nice and it was more of a conversation than anything. There were a couple of questions that threw me off a little, but I still had good answers (I think anyway) because I prepared so much. Nothing overly difficult. That's my take on it, I guess we'll see what they thought in a couple of months

Guest Abby014

I had my interview last week and It didn't go well at all. The interviewers were playing bad cop, good cop and some of their replies were actually quite rude and they were always trying to push me to change my mind of feel that my answer wasnt a good one. :-( Well I guess we never know! I felt like the whole thing was a political debate while my friend who got her's last week said it was like a conversation. I don't think it's fair!

Guest cmitchelca

Were they really aggressive in trying to push, or what were they doing to try and get you to change your answers? Were they pushing on certain questions (ie. ethics) or on everything?

Guest Abby014

My whole interview felt like a debate. They didn't ask anything about myself.. only ethics and actuality questions. After every answer one interviewer in specific would always have a negative comment after my reply. He would push and try to make me see the opposite side of what I had said. I would even say that some comments were rude. For example.. he asked for me to give suggestions on a certain topic and his reply was that if I thought it was such a good idea why does it not exist today? in a very sarcastic tone.

Guest satsumargirl

I think it is hard to tell how my interview went since I have no clue what exactly they were looking for. But I was myself and I said what I thought. I think the good/cop bad cop thing is to see how you react in a confrontational situation since that will definitely happen in real life situations.

However, I can say that there is no way to prepare for how you will react. I don't think I could have sat back and analyzed the situation as it was happening. You just react how you react, it's your instinct when being confronted.

In retrospect I wish I had not worried so much about the interview in advance!

Good luck to everyone! Can't wait 'til May 31st....

Sats

Guest Nikhila
I had my interview last week and It didn't go well at all. The interviewers were playing bad cop, good cop and some of their replies were actually quite rude and they were always trying to push me to change my mind of feel that my answer wasnt a good one. :-( Well I guess we never know! I felt like the whole thing was a political debate while my friend who got her's last week said it was like a conversation. I don't think it's fair!

I interviewed last year at U of O and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I understand why they like to play good cop bad cop - more than wanting to see if you are stable under pressure, you need to be able to deal with doctors who aren't the coddling kind (especially during clerkship and residency). That being said, I think the U of O's interview committee should take a look at how their interviewers treat interviewees. I strongly feel that I was disrespected by one member of the interview panel and that is completely unnecessary. I plan to get involved in the U of T meds admission process next year (I'm a first year U of T meds and 2nd years get to conduct interviews along with the faculty) and if and when I am interviewing an applicant, I know that I will respect him/her even if I am delegated the bad cop role (I'd REALLY like to be the good cop though) :) Its one thing to grill the interviewee, ask hard and even uncomfortable questions, it is quite another to show them no respect.

Good luck to all of this years U of O interviewees :D

Nikhila

Guest gwlite

Hi Nikhila... just out of curiousity, did you eventually get accepted to U of O or not? not that it matters because you're already in at U of T, but I'm just curious:)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived