Premed 101 Forums

Graduate GPA - Still confused

Guest Quest82

Guest Quest82

Hi,

I am currently doing my Masters in Pathology at Queen's University. This program requires that students take 4 graduate courses (2.0 credits in total) over 2 years (then we are given a Pass/Fail for our MSc). I am planning on completing all 4 courses in my first year and then applying to Ottawa medical school. Does anyone know if/how Ottawa takes graduate marks into consideration?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Ottawa takes graduate marks into consideration if your undergraduate wGPA is less than the cut-offs. (If the wGPA is above the cut-offs, then the graduate GPA is not considered during the first stage of the admissions process.) If you don't meet the undergraduate wGPA cut-off then your graduate GPA must be at an A or above.

That being said, if you have not yet begun your graduate courses, Ottawa will not count them. They will only look at graduate courses which have been completed by the application deadline date.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest avisee

That's exactly why Ottawa will not consider you for the special grad applicant pool if you are enrolled in a one-year masters program. Unless you meet the cutoff for the undergrad pool, you have to have completed some grad courses (is there a minimum number?) before October, so ideally in a previous year of a multi-year grad program. Isn't there also a stipulation that EACH of your grad marks must be an A?

If you meet the undergrad cutoff, you can likely be eligible this year (although I'm not sure whether Ottawa accepts grad students who will not be completing their degree before enrolling that fall - even if you plan to be superproductive and finish by August, that might not be clear to the ad comm who would assume you need at least another year, if you're in a lab-based MSc). The undergrad cutoffs last year (based on previous posts in this forum) appear to be in the mid 3.8s, unless you're an Ottawa resident, francophone, or from an underserviced region (closer to 3.6 in those cases).

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Isn't there also a stipulation that EACH of your grad marks must be an A?
No. Ottawa requires that your graduate average be A, not each course mark to be an A. (I know this from my own experience as well as that of others.) :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Quest82

Hi,

Thanks for all of the replies.

I understand that they will only consider your graduate marks if your undergraduate GPA is below the cut off and your overall graduate GPA is an A. However, I do not understand HOW they factor them in. Do they count as a whole year? OR do they just add them onto your last year of undergrad?

I know that Ottawa drops your first year and then they take your [(second year x 1, third year x 2 and your fourth year x 3)/6] to get your adjusted GPA, but what do they do when you have a year of graduate courses with only 2 credits (and all the undergraduate years are of 5 credits?. Granted you are trying to complete lab work as you are doing those courses.

Does anyone know? Should I just call and ask admissions?

Thanks!

Guest noncestvrai

Well once you reach the A average, they send you a letter asking for your research productivity. This, along with your detailed sketch, will determine if you are granted an interview.

It seems that, as a MSc student, you need more than a publication and several abstracts, or as far as I am concerned.

OR they have a bias toward Ontarians even at that level.

noncestvrai

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

The way Ottawa uses your graduate marks will depend on how many graduate courses you take per year. There are two possible scenarios, as follows:

1) If you are in a course-based graduate program then that one graduate year (as long as you have had a full course load) will be factored in to your wGPA calculation. If the resultant wGPA is above the cut-off for your region then you will pass the academic requirement and will not need to submit proof of research productivity.

2) If you are not in a course-based gradute program, i.e., you have not had a full graduate course load, or if the wGPA calculated above does not meet or beat the cut-off, then you will be required to send in proof of graduate productivity (if they like your sketch). Once you send in proof of graduate productivity, you are judged separately in the graduate pool to determine whether you will receive an interview.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest UOMeds06

I tried asking the admin office regarding your situation since I was walking through the other day. They said that they'd gladly address your concern if you just called them. It's probably some what complicated.

Cheers,

UOMeds06

Archived