Premed 101 Forums

Orientation Package - FYI

Guest FrenchyMed

Guest FrenchyMed

I just received my package and I noticed tht we have mandatory clinical experience from May 30 to June 3 called "week in the country". Is this new? I don't remember anyone mentioning that before. Sounds interesting.

Our holidays are:

Dec 18 - Jan 3

Mar 12 - 20

Mar 25 - 28

and we have a study break after renal / before "week in the country" May 21-29

The package also indicates that "IF NOT PRESENT ON AUG 30TH STUDENT LOSES HIS/HER RESERVED PLACE AS WELL AS THE DEPOSIT, AND SOMEONE ELSE IS OFFERED A SPOT" :eek

So everyone better make sure to be in town by Aug 30th!!!

Guest torontodave

sheesh,

I'm leaving auckland, NZ on the 4th of Jan...I'm not even registered yet and I'm already planning on missing class! What a pre-start!!

Hey Frenchy, can I get your class notes for the 4th and 5th of Jan? :D

dave

ps im taking class in english, so im obviously kidding

Guest Tanya24

Dear Frenchymed,

Yes, it is a brand new project. You guys will be sent out into rural areas to experience a week of rural/underserviced/ wilderness medicine. It's a way to introduce the idea of practicing family medicine in a small community. The lifestyle has a lot of opportunities, perks, and pleasures that we would otherwise not be aware of. Should be very interesting!

Guest FrenchyMed

Hmmm... Wilderness medicine...

I can see it now:

Med student saves lives while battling forest fires and trying to outrun hungry black bears!! :eek

Sounds like fun! I wonder if Ottawa is considered underserviced... Has anyone tried finding a GP around here!?! :lol

Dave - you can copy my notes and use this as an opportunity to improve your French! :P

Guest wassabi101

Hey Dave,

You might want to look into which day you would miss now, in case you have to change your flight. It's really difficult to miss PBL Monday or Friday morning, and unless you have a doctor's note or there's a death in the family, or your PBL tutor AND group are extremely understanding, an unexcused absence in PBL is regarded very negatively. I don't know if you can get a 'below expectations' due do missing a PBL session but this is definitely something you should look into with the med office. Any one else from meds 07-08 know the repercusions?

Cheers,

wassabi

Guest torontodave

Well that's encouraging...I'll definitely have a look at what I'll be missing and see what I can do...I mean if I'm in new zealand, there's not a hell of a lot I can do...

I am attending a wedding down there, so maybe they'll show me some slack for that. Anyway Wassabi, thanks for the heads up.

Peace,

Dave

Guest wassabi101

Hey Dave,

Sorry, my message wasn't meant to discourage you, only to give you a head's up so that you could look into it and make sure to notify your tutor and group beforehand. You see a certain part of the grade (fail, below expectations, meets expectations, exceeds expectations) is based on your participation. I know some people who have missed PBL's for similar reasons and have been fine, whereas I have heard of others having problems getting their absence excused. It really depends on your group and tutor and excuse, and a wedding's a pretty good reason, so I don't think you should have that much difficulty.

Cheers,

wassabi

Guest torontodave

hey wassabi,

no, i really am grateful for the heads up, and am conscious of it now...Don't know what I would have done if you hadn't warned me, actually. i hope others also learn from this tidbit of information, and avoid similar pitfalls.

Peace,

Dave

Archived