Premed 101 Forums

Scholarships and financial assistance

Guest Bleepo

Guest Bleepo

More questions ... hehe ... Does anyone know how many people get entrance scholarships, how much they are, what determines if you get one, when they notify you if you're eligible and whether we need to apply for them? Also, what other bursaries are available for incoming students? This info would help in the financial planning. Thanx! :)

Guest wassabi101

Hey Bleepo,

Ottawa's great for giving out bursaries and scholarships but it might not very well be enough to cover just tuition, depending on your financial situation. I ended up getting about 7000$ in scholarship and bursary money from the university, and then another 15,000$ from the government as a loan, along with a personal line of credit. Tuition is approximately 15,000$ or so, and then you get charged with the lap-top for a total of approximately 18,000$ or so (and that's JUST for tuition).

I would highly encourage you to make an appointment with the financial advisor at Ottawa this summer. I believe the info was given to us in our acceptance package. They go over a budget with you and all the options available.

I believe either everyone, or everyone that applied for a government loan in our class, received an entrance scholarship of 3,500$ in order to cover the cost of our laptop. We were also credited for the administrative costs we had paid at the beginning of the year (75$). Note though that these were all credited to our accounts in January (although we found out in October).

You can apply for additional assistance if you're really stuck financially (they assess this based on your budget that you submit to them), and get an additional max of 3000$. You have to fill out an application and provide a budget in October and again the money you get is credited for your winter tuition. Other bursaries and scholarships are available, that you apply to in Oct-Nov, but I haven't heard of anyone receiving them.

I think that's about it. Feel free to post more questions if you'd like. Congrats on your acceptance!

Cheers,

wassabi

Guest Bleepo

Hi wassabi!

Thx so much for your quick and informative reply. I guess I'll have to wait for that acceptance package! :rollin But it's good to know that there's money out there from the school. Hope your exam went well!

Guest PaniDoktor

Hey!

I'm a little confused. In the acceptance e-mail I was offered an academic excellence scholarship of $2638.46 (:) ), but there was no mention of it in the package that arrived today. Is that typical, or should I be concerned? I would have expected some sort of mention in the acceptance package...

Thanx!

Guest wassabi101

Hey panidoktor,

Congratulations on the extra wad of cash! :D I don't quite know why it wasn't mentionned in the package, unless they're planning on sending you more info or perhaps your account will be directly credited (that you'll find out when you received your tuition slip in august). Don't worry though- I'm sure it wasn't a mistake. I had forgotten to mention the entrance scholarships for academic excellency! (i.e. cause I didn't get one ;) )

Cheers!

wassabi

Guest g22g

Congrats Pani!

Typically the top ten students in each class get merit based academic scholarships of some kind. Useing the ottawa format they are the ones with perfect interview scores that then tie break all others with the highest WGPA.

g22g

Guest PaniDoktor

WOW! Really? That's great to hear :) . Still, I'd be a bit skeptical about the perfect interview score :eek . NEways, thanks for the confidence boost!

Archived