Premed 101 Forums

HELP! Incorrect Graduate Review Assessment!

Guest Cadence

Guest Cadence

I need some help -- from anyone out there who could give it to me. I have been given an incorrect graduate assessment, and have no other venues to try to correct it. Here are the particulars:

I am a graduate student, and defended my thesis at the end of the summer, but my supervisor required that I finish at least 2 publications before I was allowed to finish my thesis and graduate. (My thesis is not in a health-related field, and requires fieldwork, which means that I cannot publish until all of the field seasons were completed and data were all analyzed.) Anyhow, it was not until December that I was allowed to pass in my thesis and it wasn't until then that the university I attend formally recognized that I had completed my degree.

I received the letter which stated "you must be in your final year". I also researched the U of Ottawa website information again, which only stipulates that a graduate student must be in their final year. What does this mean? Well...I asked...I spoke with the dean of admissions yesterday and he said that your "last year" is the year in which you are registered for the full fall and spring term. This doesn't make sense. At least in my field, you can begin a MSc at any point (i.e., you can start in any month). So I asked the dean if someone was registered in a program that began in January, they would not be registered for that full fall and spring year either. He didn't seem to have an answer to this other than "did you start in January...". I was very disappointed with the information I was provided concerning this issue. I feel that I was shortchanged. I am "in my final year". In no document does this day that you have to be 12, 6, or 3 months before your defence, etc.

Anyway, I need help. I am frustrated and upset.

Thank-you in advance,

Lisa

P.S. - For those of you in the graduate review -- the committee met yesterday morning.

• 1 year later...
Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118448720</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>HELP! Incorrect Graduate Review Assessment!</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>HELP! Incorrect Graduate Review Assessment!</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Archived