Premed 101 Forums

Quebec Loan

Guest whynot

Guest whynot

Anyone have any experience with the Quebec Loans system? I applied May 31. I waited because they specifically said on their site to send all supporting documents in as one package, so I had to wait until I graduated to get my transcript. It has been 7 weeks, and they still have not processed the documents. They say this is normal, but I was wondering if anyone else had these delays.

I am in a quandry about what to do if it doesn't come through before the tuition is due.

I assume that if I successfully apply for a LOC it will stop my student loan, and what ever government scholarship/bursary that would come with it.:(

Guest lothya

I've gone to school with quebec loans for four years now, and i agree about the wait being normal. I applied in April, and just heard from them this past week. (Not to mention that they have decided to revert to the old format of loan certificates at the last minute, which makes it all look rather disorganized).

I don't think that applying for a LOC will jeapordize your loan in any way. A loan is not income. I got a med student LOC about a month before my gov't loan was approved and it made no difference whatsoever for me. It just made me feel more confident that there will be at least some money to pay tuition on time! I figure it's best to just relax and wait -- no amount of stress, sweat and tears can hurry a determined bureaucracy....

:rolleyes

Guest cutieyellow

The Quebec Loan system is indeed quite quite stenuous and takes FOREVER to process, especially if it's your first year. I made a mistake in my loan application and i think it took them nearly 6 months to correct this (many many many harassing phone calls later...). However, this year, i reapplied and it barely took them a month before i got all my money and everything was peachy. Just cross your fingers, i'm sure everything will be fine.

As for your LOC, i agree with Lothya, because it is not considered as 'income', it will definitely not affect the amount of bursary that you get.

Darn Aide Financiere, their max loan went from 3255 to 7088 this year...therefore decreasing the amount of free money-bursary :\ Then again, i guess i should not be complaining as the tuition in Quebec is the cheapest in Canada! Costs me about 2500 (if not less) a year in tuition.....gotta love it!

CY

Guest wassabi101

Agreed that the wait is long! I'm still waiting to hear back from my application, but that was only two weeks ago. Our school does delay the deadline for having to pay tuition if we are applying for govnt loans so I have until the middle-end of september.

I have Quebec loans, a line of credit and bursaries from the university and the only thing that did affect the Qc loan was the bursary from the university. They considered that with the bursary from the school that I ended up receiving in October, there were sufficient funds as to not give me as much of a loan, so I had to 'give them back' about 2000$. Needless to say, they calculate my 'need' based on Quebec housing costs, which is obviously much less expensive, so in fact, I'm always about 13,000$ short (that's where the line of credit comes into play). I can't understand for the life of me how they can justify that! And then they wonder why more students don't go into Family Med...

Cheers,

wassabi

Guest cutieyellow

I find that they calculate your loans/bursary to every penny, so much so that it's barely enough if you live in Quebec itself! What they give me is definitely borderline enough, meaning that i have to cut back on a lot of things and be careful as to where and when i spend.

Only good thing is, i have stayed away from LOC up to now :)

CY

Guest whynot

Thanks for all the feedback. I finally called them. They have received my documents, but my transcript from school - declaring at the end, all the information regarding the degree and when it was conferred, may not be enough to satisfy their need for my diploma. My mother had the diploma framed, for a small fortune, and now it is over sized, I couldn't xerox it. The person at the end of the phone would not except anything but the diploma itself. I finally got her to be willing to accept confirmation from the registrar. Guess what they send? The transcript with the info about the degree at the bottom. After another call, which by luck I got the same person I was speaking to the first time (what kind of odds are those?) she finally let me speak to a manager, who is letting the transcript go through to the next level (she did mention they may not accept it) This is the kind of thing that drives people insane. I may be a little closer to a loan.:\ who knows.

It is my first year dealing with the loans people.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest whynot

Yes, I have been sped through and got notification last Thursday via the web.

If you are getting the 7017 Studies Attestation without a date, I would suggest calling them. Also I mentioned that I was starting med school in two weeks, so they put me in a rush stream. From the time I called it only took 9 days. Pretty good for government work, mind you I have not received the actual loan certificate, just the assessment.

Guest RedBull33

Yes, I received the 7017 Studies Attestation without a date. They need a photocopy of my diploma. I will call them as I did already send a transcript showing that I obtained my undergrad degree This is really strange as the transcript seems to suffice for every other process I've been through!

• 11 months later...

Archived