Premed 101 Forums

Government loans for OOP students

Guest Spazumn

Guest Spazumn

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit late in the game of shopping around for loans and LOCs as it has taken me some time to figure out whether I'm actually starting my studies this year or not! Well now things are cleared up and I have a whole new set of worries. 8o

I am a Quebec resident going to U of T this fall, and I found on the Quebec student financial assistance website that they do not offer loans to medical students studying out of province. I know that I am not eligible for OSAP either. Is anyone else in a similar situation who has found some kind of loophole? The prospect of being fully dependent on my bank LOC (either BMO or RBC...still undecided) is daunting to say the least as the debt will be enormous, but I suppose there are many others faced with the same situation.

I would appreciate hearing your opinions!

Guest Ollie

Wow, that really sucks. I guess it's because med school tuition is so cheap in Quebec for residents, that they don't want you going OOP. I would look into it further. If you weren't accepted in Quebec then you have no choice but to go elsewhere. I'm a BC resident going to UofT, and I will definitely get a loan from BCSAP. Maybe call UofT, I'm sure they've run into this before.

Guest noncestvrai

Well can't you apply for Canada student loans (if it does exist)?

I thought that even if you don't study in Quebec you can apply for Quebec loans (as a resident)...or at least to UofO.

noncestvrai

I'm going OOP from BC to Ontario (unless Calgary calls me first). BC residents like me who go OOP apply for BC and Canada student loans here in BC, just as if I were going to a local university. You should qualify for Canada student loans at least, it's too bad Quebec won't give Provincial loans the same. Not sure if this helps at all.....

Guest Ticket

Hello,

I had a similar dilemma. I've been working in Ontario for the past while, and I got accepted to Newfoundland (my home province) for medical school. Since I won't have any legal ties to Ontario when I leave, I didn't know who to get a loan with.

I called Canada Student Loans. She told me that if I apply now, I apply to OSAP. If I wait until I get there in September, I'd apply to Newfoundland. She said, basically where I'm living at the time I apply. Especially since most of the money comes from the same pot (i.e. federal).

And since the deadline is 90 after the session starts (or ends?), maybe you can wait until you move there to apply for government loans.

I hope that helps.

-ticket

Guest Spazumn

Thanks for all your advice everyone. This is one of Quebec's ways of dealing with the problem of Quebec residents leaving the province to pursue medicine - unfortunately I'm contributing to the problem! I have an acceptance for U de Montreal but for many reasons am choosing Toronto.

I will look into applying to OSAP once I move - thanks for the tip Ticket! :)

Just to let you know, the advice I was given by the student loan office in BC, is that if I move to another province to go to school, the only way I could apply there for provincial student loans is if I lived there for one full year prior to starting school. Otherwise the application needed to be done through my home province.

• 1 year later...

Archived