Premed 101 Forums

RMC vs. MD Management?

Guest gonzo23

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

I met with the Toronto RBC rep. this morning. An interesting tidbit: apparently at some point last year (I'm not sure if they deal is still a go) they were offering a $100/head finder's fee to any medical student who referred someone over to RBC for a similar LOC. Apparently UofT students are offered a plan with Scotiabank which doesn't have all of the features of the RBC LOC. Thus, in year four, it isn't uncommon for UofT students to jump ship to RBC. Well, some fourth year UofT student sent a mass e-mail to his class of nearly 200 students. Of that, apparently 30-40 of them switched to RBC and used his name as a reference and he pocketed ~$4,000. What a fly guy. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest northernjo

Here's a link George Tsonis sent me with all of the up-to-date info on the RBC LOC. It doesn't really tell you more than what people have already posted here, but it's nice to read it directly from RBC.

www.rbcroyalbank.com/stud.../plan.html

For some reason, when I searched their site I only found the old information for the $125,000 max LOC with prime+1. Oh well. I'm meeting with George next week to set something up.

northernjo

Guest kosmo14

I think its great that you guys are finding all of this competition for LOC. I do think before you actually sign on the bottom line you should see one of the MD Management financial advisers. It is so easy to get "$200k" but so very hard to pay off. That is one hell of a payment in the end, and unless you are extremely disciplined it is very easy to rack it up to the limit by saying "oh well I have 180k left I can buy a car, I sure want to go to Europe this summer, I still have lots of money" and by year 4 you have 10k left and no ability to increase that as you are already in bad shape.

At least MDM can advise you how much you may need, and make out a good budget with you. Even if you don't choose to do the National Bank thing, MDM is still there for you to use and couldn't care what bank you choose for the LOC.

Just my thoughts, but it seems like a lot of people are jumping as deep into the LOC tar pit as possible which may lead to some serious financial and career dilemma's in the future.

Guest physiology

Hey Kirsteen,

Regarding the "referral fee" from Royal Bank, I'm doing that right now (I've gotten two of my friends to sign on), but I split the cash with em.

So I get $50, they get $50. Then they can start referring people too.

Cheers,

Physio

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again,

Well, if the $100 per referral program is still on (which it looks like it is) then folks around here should start partnering up and splitting the wins. It's a pity to let a good $100 go to waste. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest bananacreampie

I am a little confused about the National Bank/ MD management. It is just out east, or is there a chance of using them in Alberta? Are there representatives or an office in Calgary, for example? It's time I get off my butt and start exploring these options as well.

thx, bcp

Guest Ollie

MDManagement most likely has an office in Alberta (they have one in Vancouver). If you can't track them down, your school could probably get you in touch with them, or try the Alberta Medical Association. National Bank doesn't have a lot of branches out west, but you can have your LOC with them, and you regular bank account throught another bank. NBC doesn't charge for ATM withdrawals from any banks on the Exchange network (which is HSBC and most credit unions)

• 1 year later...

Archived