Premed 101 Forums

immunization

Guest carletongirl

Guest carletongirl

What vaccines do you have to take before entering 1st year med? I have heard that you must have a TB test done, but I don't know what other health precautions/tests must be performed.

Guest med2006McGill

Hi there,

You'll probably also need the following vaccines/tests:

D2T5 (booster)

MMR (booster)

Hepatitis B

Varicella (titer/clinical history)

Guest UWOMED2005

Don't worry too much about this - most schools will notify you after you've been accepted about when you have to do this by. And the school might provide a clinic for Hep B shots - I believe Western does.

Other things you will be asked for, though, will be completion of CPR/Standard First Aid certification and a yearly physical. The family physician who did my physical, upon hearing I was going to med school went WAY overboard with the tests but was nice enough to give me a copy of ALL the results - EKG, 'lytes, glucose, creatinine, blood urea, and even tests for both antibody and antigen for a number of infections diseases. . . (Hep B, Hep C, HIV, Syphilis. . .?)

Guest carletongirl

Thanks for all of the info! The reason I was asking is because if I am lucky enough to get in for this September, I will hear about it while I am working for the entire summer outside of my province of residence, thus I won't have a GP to go to for my physical, and I'm not even sure that OHIP will even cover me for all of these vaccines. But I guess I will have to figure that out if I end up hearing some good news :)

Guest UWOMED2005

At some schools at least, there is the possibility of an extension on these requirements in special circumstances, such as potentially your own. You may have the opportunity to complete such requirements before the end of September, but bear in mind that you might not be able to participate in any curriculum components that involve the hospitals. . . fortunately, these aren't extensive in the first month of med school, usually.

Guest MayFlower1

carletongirl,

I know someone who is accepting new patients ;) ...even if you don't want her as a family doc, I'm sure she would do your immunizations for you...I don't think my wife usually bites :o Actually, her colleague indicated he would do mine for me should I need them...I'm sure we can work something out...drop me an e-mail and we can arrange something... by the way, if you're still looking for a family doc...I believe we're booking June right now for new patient "meet and greets".

Peter

Guest walton1

Just a reminder to Ontario students planning to go elsewhere that getting your shots here is likely less expensive than elsewhere.

For example, if you went to Nova Scotia, plan on spending ~ $100 for a Hep B vaccination, which I believe is free in Ontario (might depend on your regional health authority).

So get your shots before you go.

wally

Guest walton1

I lie again. Hep B is covered everywhere for kids, but adults have to pay for themselves. Unless they're in a 'have' province.

I don't think our generation got these shots as kids.

Guest jmh2005

Depending on how old you are, you may or may not have received the series of Hep B...if you are older than 24-25 you likely did not receive those shots in Grade 7...I can't recall the year they began this program...just to keep in mind...:)

Guest bearman14

In my letter from McGill, they stated that my HepB series should have been started BEFORE submitting my application for admission (which, unfortunately, was not the case for me). Any moderators have any info as to whether this may be a problem (my third shot will be done in October, 2003). Thanks.

Guest aneliz

I believe that Ontario started their Grade 7 Hep B immunization program the year that those born in 1982 were in Grade 7...they then held a 'catch up clinic' the next year where they immunized all of the high school students (those born 1977-1981). So yes, if you are older then that you would have been missed in the school campaigns in Ontario.

Guest medicator007

Bearman14,

No need to worry at all about your vaccination status at McGill. You have plenty of time to get them done, in fact several of my classmates still haven't finished their series. You just need to have the form completed by the time you go into the hospitals in 2nd year.

Hope that helps,

Medicator

Guest medicator007

No problem,

During orientation a nurse from Student health will review your form and help you make any arrangements that need to be made... enjoy your summer and hope to see you in the fall!

Any other questions feel free to post them in the McGill forum!

Medicator

• 2 years later...

Archived