Premed 101 Forums

Peds residency at Sick Kids

Guest madison2001

Guest madison2001

I was wondering if anyone knows how difficult it is to obtain a residency position at Sick Kids in Toronto. Is it extremely competitive? And what can you do throughout medical school to improve your chances?

Also, would it be beneficial to complete your medical degree at UofT?

Thanks!

Guest therealcrackers

A paeds residency at Sick Kids means getting a pediatrics residency at U of T. The quota for this year will be listed on the CaRMS website http://www.carms.ca under the listing for individual schools, then individual programs (pediatrics).

Getting a FELLOWSHIP for a subspecialty at Sick Kids would mean applying for it after completing 3 years of a paediatrics residency, and being successful in your candidacy. Going to U of T may or may not help you. Doing an elective there, however, during your clinical years, certainly would.

Interestingly enough, having talked to the paeds residents and staff at UWO, they don't consider doing a residency at Sick kids to be the best. Apparently Ottawa, Dal and Calgary are much better regarded programs. Apparently Sick kids is famous for working their residents/fellows extremely hard on useless scut... for example: every kid with a history of a heart problem that comes into emerg gets a cardiology consult...regardless of what they are actually there for (ie broken arm, stitches on hand, etc) This generates a ton of 'BS' consults that keep the residents and fellows running around and not actually seeing the things that they need to see to learn. Apparently this strategy is used to sell the idea that 'sick kids is the best' to the parents and public, but it doesn't translate into better training for the housestaff.

Things may have changed... but you will definitely want to do an elective there to check it out first-hand if you are interested in training there.

Good luck!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I wonder if the above is true for a few UofT residency programs? Interestingly, among the Gen Surg programs across the country, I've heard from numerous folks (including UofT surgical faculty and residents) that UofT's program is in need of a very large overhaul. Within the past few years ~8 residents have evacuated the Gen Surg program. The latest reason that I heard is that many of the residents felt that they were not getting the exposure that they needed to acquire and increase their surgical skills within the first 2 years of the program. There were at least 2 factors influencing this movement: 1) there are so many fellows and senior residents that nth-assist was de rigeur (where n>3); 2) the majority of daily hours were spent doing scut-work.

There's no doubt that UofT is a good place to be exposed to some great people and experiences but hopefully they take some time to have a look at potential glitches like this.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I've heard the same things about gen. surg. (and a couple other surgical related specialties) there myself, but not directly from any U of T surgical residents or staff.

The only personal experience I have there is from internal medicine... I found the amount and quality of teaching in team medicine and in GI in Toronto to be excellent, certainly as good or better than any other place I've been to. There are other Canadian internal medicine programs that have more of a rep for too much service and too little learning/teaching.

Guest UWOMED2005

I'd heard the same from different sources than Aneliz - Dal, Ottawa and Calgary are usually the thought of as the strongest Peds programs. . . not Sick Kids.

Yes, this might surprise some.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest physiology

Hi,

At Sick Kids, you're at the bottom of the totem pole as a PGY-1.

I was told to avoid Sick Kids for a peds residency. Only go there for fellowship training.

• 1 month later...
Guest physiology

Because Sick Kids is essentially a quartenary care paediatric facility there are even MORE fellows, clinical assistants from Saudi Arabia, Germany, etc., residents, medical students, etc....so as a PGY1, you end up doing less.

I was comparing Sick Kids to let's say doing pediatrics in Saskatchewan or at Memorial, where the hands-on experience would be much greater.

Physio

Archived