Premed 101 Forums

US med student wants to practice medicine in Canada

Guest js123456

Guest js123456

HI everyone.

I am a fourth year med student in the US. I want to do FP residency here in the US and then (hopefully) want to practice in Canada.

I was looking at the medical licensing authority web sites of manitoba and SK, and they want your residency to be from a university based programm.

I was wondering if all the provinces in Canada wants the FP residency from a university-based programm or is it just those two provinces.

So, is there anyone who is familiar with licensing in Canada? Can you also tell me how much realistic chance do I have to practice medicine in Canada. Thanks.

Guest aneliz

I would suggest that you call the college of family physicians of canada that sets the exams that Canadian trained family med residents write to become fully licensed. They would best be able to tell you what comprises an acceptable family residency program by Canadian standards and what hoops you will have to jump to be licensed in Canada after a US residency.

Good luck!

Guest js123456

Thanks aneliz

I called they they do accept American residency at this point. She, however, said that things might change in the future (next 3yrs), and they might not accept it at that time.

thanks again.

Archived