Premed 101 Forums

Pediatric Fellowships

Guest MedAnxiety

Guest MedAnxiety

Hi, I was wondering where i can find more information regarding fellowships following the pediatric residency program. If I remember correctly, you have to do the 3 core years of pediatrics residency, and in your 4th year, you can subspecialize. Can your fellowship start in 4th year or are some fellowships for peds only 1 year (which i doubt..since most are 2 years).

For example, if I was interested in Pediatric Psychiatry or Pediatric Respiratory (is there such thing?), how many years in TOTAL would that be?

Thanks for your help!

In the US at least, pediatric psychiatry (AKA Child and Adolescent psych) is first done through psychiatry, and then a CAP fellowship.

Guest Ian Wong

I might be way off on this, but I believe in Canada, Child Psychiatry is 5 years of Psych residency plus 1 year of Child Psych fellowship (puts you up at 6 years). Peds respirology (which does indeed exist), is 3 years of a Peds residency, and I believe 2-3 years of peds respirology fellowship. That fellowship I believe usually bundles in critical care, as you'll often find respirologists in the ICU environment due to their training in managing ventilators.

I can't think of any pediatric fellowships which are only 1 year in duration. Invariably, you do three years of a peds residency, and then 2-3 years of fellowship thereafter.

Ian

Guest UWOMED2005

I think the most interesting one is Peds emerg. You can either do 5 years of emerg than a fellowship in peds (emerg), or 3 years of peds and a fellowship in emerg (peds emerg!)

Archived