Premed 101 Forums

how many yrs of school u need to do b4 u can start earning ?

Guest vanquish444

Guest vanquish444

this dude from albert einstein told me that one might have to expect to pay 50k USD a year for 6-8 yrs nowadays b4 he/she can earn money

is that true?

thats like 400k USD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

After medical school, residency provides a yearly salary. (Although some Canadian schools provide a small stipend during clerkship.) In Canada, this salary has been negotiated to start at around $42,000, and this increases by about 10% for each year spent in residency. (These salaries vary a bit depending on the province where residency is being completed.) It's only once residency is finished, a professional designation, e.g., Royal College, has been earned, and a post has been secured that the larger paycheques begin. (Unless, in residency you can do a little bit of moonlighting where you can add to your residency salary.) This is how it works in Canada. I assume that the US process is similar although the pay might be a little different.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest vanquish444

Thx for the reply

Ya, that's what I thought as well but the guy was so sure that students have to pay tuition during their residency and fellowship as well, which doesn't make sense because I have been told that you start to earn salary during your residency.

Well, the salary is not a big issue but if you have to pay the same amount of tuition for your 3-8 years in residency... it's gonna be really expensive and it's gonna completely mess up my financial plans......

Archived