Premed 101 Forums

GPA Minimum

Guest joshto

I am a first-year BIO (tentative) undergrad at UWO. I could see myself getting a 3.3 GPA (82.5%). I would assume this would be too low to be considered in Canada, but what about the U.S.? Alsom When is the best time to write the MCAT? By they way, what courses are used to calculate GPA and from what years? I am conflicting sources on how to convert a percentage to a GPA. How in the world do you do this conversion?

Thanks.

The following is a link to the AMCAS grade conversion table:

www.aamc.org/students/amc...de2006.pdf

The best way to convert your percentage marks into GPA is to first convert all your marks to the 4.0 system and then average them.

For example, saying you have an overall of 82.5% doesn't directly translate into a 3.3 GPA. Say someone received 90 in 2 courses - their average would be 90 and GPA would be 4.0. Say another person got 80 in one course and 100 in another. Their average would also be 90 but their GPA would be 3.85.

In regards to GPA requirements for US schools, it depends on the school. You'll have to find the schools you'll be competitive in. The following link may help you in determining what schools you'll be competitive in based on MCAT and GPA.

www.premedguide.com/medfind.html

American schools either look at your cumulative GPA (from all years) and your science GPA (based on science courses). This is outlined in the AMCAS conversion table.

I hope this helps!

Madz

I looked over this chart, and I still don't really understand how it works. I do know at UWO, an A+(90-100), A(80-90), B(70-79), C(60-69), D(50-59). Does this help in converting to GPA?

generally, AMCAS tables are different for Canadian versus US schools (and there is great variability even for US schools). It is confusing, but if you got yourself a 82 percent average, barring any outrageous grades, it should work out to be about a 3.5, which is slightly below average for applicants. Again, as mentioned above, your actual GPA will be +/-.

If you know how percentages translate into letter grades for UWO, then go with that.

Example:

Calculus - 75 ------B-----3.0

Biology - 92--------A+---4.0

Chemistry - 88-----A-----4.0

Physics - 83--------A----4.0

Psychology - 90----A+---4.0

GPA = (3+4+4+4+4)/5 = 3.8

The GPA is based on UWO's scale that was provided. Your AMCAS GPA may be different depending on how they convert your grades. Also, if your transcript doesn't include letter grades, I don't know if it would be a good idea to enter your marks in the application as letter grades.

Madz

When is the best time to write the MCAT? I would imagine it would be after my second year because then I could apply to med schools in april of my fourth year b/c I will have already taken the MCAT. Am I correct? Is this ideal?

I guess the 'ideal' time for you to apply would be whenever you feel the most "ready" to write the MCAT. I personally think that it's good to write it after 2nd year (that's when I wrote it). That gives you time to see your MCAT results and determine whether or not a re-write is required. Then you can start your applications in May (I think AMCAS application becomes available in May) for the next application cycle.

Madz

I am little confused over the process of application. I am in a four-year program. Currently, I am in the first year of the program. After my 2nd year is over, I plan to write my MCAT in August. What then happens as I begin third year and fourth? When do I start applying to Med Schools? Because I would have written the MCAT when I begin to apply will I be able to apply early (which will increase my chances of getting in), correct?

YOu can apply during your third year but the chances of you getting in will probably be next to zero. First, your GPA is a little low but most importantly very few schools take students who do not have a degree. And those that do require a very high GPA/MCAT, which you do not have. Most applicants apply during their fourth year and this is what I suggest you do. Otherwise you will just be wasting your money.

I agree with moo.

If you decide to write your MCAT after 2nd year, which I am guessing would be Aug 2007, then you should apply the summer after your third year, in May 2008 for entry in Aug/Sept 2009. That way, you will have your applications in early, which will increase your chance of getting an interview and admission since American schools have rolling admissions. You will complete your four year degree in April/May of 2009 and start med in Aug/Sept 2009.

Madz

Wow, that was very helpful Madx25. Thank you so much. I have had so many questions because this whole thing is new to me. I understand that I have to volunteer and join clubs to better my application, but how important is research??

Honestly, do whatever interests you. That way, when it comes time to talk about these things in your essays and the interview, you will have a sincere reason for participating in those activities. Many people are admitted without research experience. If you want to gain some research experience then go for it. I don't think any school will penalize for not volunteering/working in a lab. As long as you can say with sincerity why you participated in certain activities, that's what will make your application stronger.

Madz

Archived