Premed 101 Forums

Academic req in top American schools..

Guest archchivalry

Guest archchivalry

Hi,

I'm considering to apply US med schools, and especially those top-tier schools(harvard, JHU, etc) and I just finished the first year of science at UWO.

My question is "Do I need to take courses that are in the same level as my undergrad year?", I meant do I need to take all 2nd year courses in 2nd year or can I take some first year courses as well? or is there any limit for taking first year courses?

Also, do those top US med schools consider summer course mark as well? I took English this summer and my mark was pretty low..I hope it doesn't count..

Thanks for reply in advance!

Before applying to anything in the US, make sure you can afford it. ~US$40k/year x 4 years with no financial aid.

After that, I'd say that as a Canadian undergrad, you have to be above and beyond most US applicants. I would take courses at your level. Show them that you can handle the load. Also, that summer English grade is going to hurt you sorry to say.

Guest archchivalry

Would taking 1st-yr level foreign language courses, which I can't help taking obviously because I never learned that language, bad?

Also, I'm expecting to get mid 70s in the English course, what would that be in AMSAS GPA? is that a bad mark??

Don't be sorry to give me info and thanks for your reply!

Guest Madz25

Yes, I'm pretty sure that US schools look at your entire undergraduate record. By the way, not all Ontario schools exclude summer marks - McMaster counts summer marks.

• 1 month later...

I am a first-year at UWO. Why wouldn't everyone take Org. Chem. (or any other courses) in the summer to exclude it from the GPA? Do all U.S. schools require an "English" course, or can you take an essay course in any field? I do not have any english courses in my first year (I guess that's bad, but I am very weak in English and essay writing).

You're right. It seems that all schools require an english course. However, would they accept a course that is not titled "English" but has a heavily-based essay component?

The English course I took didn't have 'English' in the title. It was called "Literature for our time." The course code, however, started with "ENG," which denotes it as an English course.

Madz

I looked at a couple of american medical school requirements and most of them say an English course is recommended not required. I also made a call to Northwestern who said that they are very flexibile when it comes to the English course.

Archived