Premed 101 Forums

when to apply

Guest hesam7

Guest hesam7

I'm aware of the rolling admission process in U.S. medical schools and so I would like to apply as soon as possible, however, I'm facing a little delimma. I wrote the MCAT last year in August and it went pretty bad and I wrote it again two days ago. If I apply before my MCAT scores come in would they count my previous MCAT score? if I want my second MCAT score to count then would I have to wait until the MCAT results come in (in October)?

Thanks

Guest Madz25

You can apply now if you'd like. Usually on the secondary applications you can indicate that you have taken the most recent MCAT and would like those scores to count. Your application will not be reviewed until they have received your August scores.

Keep in mind that schools may have different policies regarding multiple MCAT scores. Some schools use a composite score from all writings - they take the highest mark in each section to make up the score. For example:

MCAT 1: PS 9 VR12 BS11 WS O

MCAT 2: PS 11 VR 10 BS 11 WS R

Composite Score: PS 11 VR 12 BS 11 WS R

Hope this helps!

Madz

Guest hesam7

So if they look at my applications after my MCAT scores come in in October would that be way too late? Do classes get full or almost full by October? Also, would they even ask for secondary applications before my MCAT scores come in?

Thanks alot for your help

Guest Madz25

I don't know if it would be too late. Ofcourse, the earlier you apply the better. The class would definitely not be full by October since most schools have deadlines in January for secondaries. Your best bet at this point would be to get all of the application materials (AMCAS, secondaries, reference letters, photo etc.) to the schools by the time the MCAT scores are released so there aren't any additional delays.

The schools usually send secondaries as soon as they receive your AMCAS application (via e-mail) as most schools don't "screen" applicants based on the AMCAS application. So yes, you can send in the secondary before your MCAT scores come in.

Madz

Archived