Premed 101 Forums

Good USMLE (Step 1) resources?

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

For those of you who have written the USMLE Step 1, can you recommend any good resources? I'm considering writing it in the spring and wouldn't mind picking up some worthwhile books or other good resources for review, but there are so many out there. If there were any which worked for you which you could recommend, I'd love to hear about them.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

There used to be a good thread that Ian wrote up a year ago or so but I can't find it. I think the crash killed that thread. Anyway, must have books include:

First Aid

BRS Path

BRS Physio (unless you already have the Costanzo text, then I'd save my money)

Clinical Microbiology made ridiculously easy or the Lange book

Lippincott Pharmacology

BRS or High Yield Behavioral Science (the two books are by the same author; I like HY because it is more concise)

You probably don't need a book for anatomy or biochemistry; first aid is good enough for these. But if you must have a book BRS anatomy or High Yield Anatomy is good. I also used HY biochemistry; BRS biochem is too thick. Don't bother with any histology books. All the biostatistics you need should be found in First Aid or the Behavioral Science book

In addition, many people recommend subscribing to the Kaplan Qbank, which has a bank of 1000 questions or something (maybe more, I don't remember). There's also a practice test on the AAMC website, but this test is easier than the actual test. You can also buy other question books. A popular series that students use is Board Simulator Series. This set of five books is harder than the actual test but you can learn a lot from it, as long as you do not get frustrated.

Guest Ian Wong

I managed to get back many of the old threads in the Med 1+2 forum. Here's a few threads that are of use while prepping for Step 1. I think Kaplan's QBank is KEY; definitely go through all of it. A huge part of doing well on this stupid exam is to go through as many practice questions as you can, and review the answers, particularly on questions that you got wrong, or in subject areas where you were consistently weakest.

p084.ezboard.com/fpremed1...D=48.topic

p084.ezboard.com/fpremed1...D=46.topic

p084.ezboard.com/fpremed1...D=18.topic

Ian

Archived