Premed 101 Forums

Which US schools to apply to?

Guest mistiss

Guest mistiss

Hello

I'm was thinking of applying to a few US schools next year. My GPA is 80-84%, and my MCAT is 10, 10, 9, Q. So my stats are pretty average, and my extracurriculars are pretty good (but not exceptional).

So I wanted to know my chances of getting an interview.

I know there's little chance I'll get interviewed at a top school, but what about an middle-tier school?

(Sorry, I know little about this process, and don't even know which are the middle schools?...is there a book I can read? Are the middle-tier schools private colleges or state colleges? How do middle-tier schools compare with Cnd schools...I remeber reading in this forum that the Cnd schools are usually ranked top 33% percentile?)

So is there any chance of getting an interview?

thanks a bunch, sorry for being so ignorant of the process; I read a few posts in this folder, but still don't have a good idea of the competitiveness of US schools.

thanks

Pick yourself up a copy of the Medical Admissions Requirements on amazon.com. The US News lists the top 50 programs in the US. Canadian schools ranked in the top 33rd percentile? Who cares. Judged by whom? Gourman (he's dead and his criteria aren't even published)? By what criteria? Research? I doubt some of the more rural type schools in Canada or the US would even rank in the top 70th percentile in research dollars alone. I would say most Canadian schools compare with most state schools in the US. Good, but not exceptional like the top 30 schools. But hey, that's my opinion. BTW, USask was recently put on probation by the LCME/CACMS for underfunding. Judging by that criteria, you probably wouldn't rank it very high, certainly not top 33rd percentile. But that's not the point. The point is all accredited schools meet a minimum set of requirements and are all good schools that produce good doctors. There are bad doctors that come from Toronto, Harvard and the like and there are great doctors coming from USask, New York Medical College and Finch/CMS (two of the "lower tiered" colleges).

Archived