Premed 101 Forums

AMCAS GPA from UofT and UWO

Guest Gexar

Guest Gexar

Hello everyone.

I have attended both of these undergraduate institutions, and I am wondering if there is a AMCAS GPA table to convert Canadian grades (from these Universities preferably) into AMCAS US GPAs.

I have searched the internet for over an hour, and all I can find is how to convert into AMCAS GPA from US undergraduate colleges.

Does anyone have a link to converting Canadian GPAs into AMCAS GPA?

Thank you,

Gexar

Guest rads

it's been a long time since i applied, but i remember using the scale that gave me the highest gpa :) I say, "If it's wrong, let them figure it out." It never was mentioned in my interviews, and i got accepted to a few, so it musta been all good.

Guest Gexar

LOL. Hello rads.

The reason I make this post, is because I am hearing AMCAS takes anything above 85% as a 4.0.

I know OMSAS takes anything 90%+ as a 4.0 from these Universities.

Do you know whether a 85% or a 90% is considered a 4.0 on the AMCAS GPA?

Guest Jixe

Gexar,

I too have heard that 85%+ is considered a 4.0 when coming from Ontario undergraduate institutions. Though, I always hear of minor GPA adjustments being made by AMCAS for Ontario applicants.

Where are you thinking of applying? I think virtually all schools require a completed degree prior to matriculating, though, that may be overridden by transferring to a 3 year BSc. I'm trying to get more information about 3 year degree acceptances myself.

Guest Gexar

Hello Jixe,

What type of adjustments have you heard of being made to Ontario students?

If an 85% is considered a 4.0, then I will have a 4.0 BOTH YEARS :hat :hat :hat I am very pleased if this is the case 8o

I am thinking of applying to all of the high-end, financially exclusive US medical schools. Washington has caught my eye, Harvard of course, North Carolina, and surprisngly Wayne State.

The reason I like Wayne State, is I have heard very good things from my father that their curriculum is very 'hands-on' compared to other medical colleges.

A 3-yr BSc is a degree. Why would that not be acceptable? It is in fact a 'degree', so it would have to be acceptable.

Not one US medical school, (well maybe a couple) require an honors degree, while many in Canada require 4yrs. This is another reason why I dislike the Canadian medical system. It discourges bright young men from pursuing a medical career here.

Guest rads

i don't know of any school (at least in the top 10) that accepted a three-year degree.

Anyway, you serious about Wayne? I'd look into it. A 4.0 GPA plus an amazing MCAT will put you in shooting distance of a lot of top-quartile schools... Don't estimate the value of a "name" school when it comes to the next step of your education, RESIDENCY.

cheers!

So Ontario isn't accepting anyone after two-years of undergrad anymore, eh?

Guest Gexar

Hello rads.

Are you and I talking about the same schools? Most top medical schools I require a Bachelors Degree. A 3-yr degree is a bachelors degree, aka 90 credit hours. Only a few schools mention 120 credit hours, or a 4-yr degree.

Yes, I am quite serious about Wayne State. What do you mean by 'top quartile' schools rads? Also, I'm not sure what you mean by this statement: "Don't estimate the value of a "name" school when it comes to the next step of your education, RESIDENCY." I'm sorry, the wording is a little wierd and am not sure what it means.

Also rads, do you know if an 85% from an Ontario University for undergraduate is consdiered a 4.0 in AMCAS. My OMSAS GPA was 3.94, however, if an 85% is considered a 4.0, then my GPA for both years will by 4.0. I went to UofT and UWO for these two years.

Guest rads

Hey, you're right! 3-years *is* acceptable. Although, I must say, I don't know anyone in my class who got in after three years!

Sorry... That sentence was piss poor. Anyway, top quartile is the top 25% of schools on the US news and world report. This is about the top 25. Students from schools like Harvard, JHU, Northwestern, etc. will have an easier time matching at 'better' residency programs than students from lesser-tier schools. It's unfortunately a real fact. If a residency admissions committee looks at two equally qualified applicants, one from Wayne State and another from Yale, they are going to take the Yale student, ALWAYS.

Most premeds focus on getting into medical school (which is the right 'short term' objective). But to think long term, you must also consider residency. Since you're thinking of Cardiothoracic surgery, you must get into a top-notch residency to land a good cardiothoracic fellowship. Only then will you be compensated the 500k/year :)

Guest Gexar

Hello rads.

My plan is to get into medical college after 3 yrs of undergraduate studies. I think my GPA and hopefully my MCAT scores will push me through.

I agree with what you said. The problem is, I am sadly a Canadian citizen, and that disqualifies me from some top quartile programs.

I am definitely considering high-intensive surgery and realize I will spend 10 years after medical college training for it.

Also rads, if you can provide any insight into my GPA AMCAS question, I would appreciate it. I emailed AMCAS, and they were of absolutely no help whatsoever.

Guest chushmy

Does anyone know how grades from Canadian universities outside of Ontario are converted to AMCAS GPAs? Also, do they look at your overall GPA or or do they take certain years only? Thanks.

Guest studentz

The scale is within the electronic AMCAS application and I don't know anywhere else that it is published...try a google search.

As for your desire to get in after 3 years, remember that if you read something from the US that states "Bachelor's degree" they mean 4 years; the States doesn't have 3 year general Bachelor's degrees. If they say "90 credit hours" they mean 3 years. If you're doing so well, and are serious about a top program in the US, you will do yourself a disservice by applying after 3 years as you will be competing against people who are doing equally as well and who will have an extra year. You should just do the 4 years.

It is cumulative, and AMCAS lists both a cumulative GPA and a cumulative BCPM (bio, chem, math, physics) GPA.

Guest dr555

Hi

I too am quite confused about the whole three year degree deal. In fact, I just called Stanford today to ask them directly.

They STRONGLY DISCOURAGE applicants who have only completed 3 years, even with a bachelor's degree, to apply. She said that you're giving yourself a huge disadvantage in terms of competing against others who are all 4 year applicants.... So they basically destroyed my hopes and dreams in one phone call ! ( well, almost)

Although it would be wise to call all the schools directly to ask them of their policies, the phone bills would rack up! Is anyone 100% certain of schools who have accepted 3 yr applicants with a Bsc?

greatly appreciated,

dr555

Guest docbil

get a 5 dollar calling card from convenience store... Jackpot or some kind of name. It is 1.9cent/min to US or better. You can talk with them for a long time.

Another thing. Talk to someone who is fimiliar with Canadian Applicants. And Try to explain that Grade 13 in Ontario would cut the time to 3 years. Assuming you did a 3 year degree.

Archived