Premed 101 Forums

Winnipeg

Guest kellyl20

Guest kellyl20

What is Winnipeg like? Is air con a must for part of the year?

When does mosquitoe season start and is there any spraying program to prevent West Nile Virus proliferation?

Guest ManitobaMed

Where to begin...

Weather-wise, Winnipeg is pretty much "land of extremes". During the winter, our cold snaps can have temps hovering around -30 (and worse still with the windchill) for days on end. Fortunately, these tend to occur primarily in January/February and are compensated for somewhat by "Alberta clippers", which bring temps to 0 to +5 for a couple of days at a time. Neither the bad cold snaps nor the Alberta clippers are predictable; generally, we get a few of the former and 1-2 of the latter per winter. (Like the rest of the country, we have not followed our usual winter pattern this year, though.) During the summer, the temps can get quite warm (hi-twenties to lo-thirties in July/August), and we don't usually get much rain. The last couple of years have provided an exception to this, with rain and cooler temps prevailing. As you might guess from the usual July/August temps, aircon is a nice thing to have during these months -- and often through into September. Spring and fall are too unpredictable even to give a rough description. In the last ten years, I've experienced snow as late as June and as early as September and "shorts weather" as early as April and as late as October. Oh yeah, and the operative terms for Manitoba weather are: "dry heat" and "dry cold" -- apparently, these is supposed to make +35 and -35 suck less than they otherwise might.

Mosquito season, like the weather seasons, is fairly unpredictable, probably as it depends ON the weather seasons. The most dreaded Winnipeg weather: warm dry weather after rainfall. There is a spraying program to keep the mosquito numbers down -- now ostensibly to prevent the spread of West Nile, though it does, to my recollection, predate the West Nile media frenzy. There are mixed feelings in Winnipeg on the necessity/appropriateness of spraying toxins into the air and waterways, and some neighbourhood groups have protested fogging in the past. City officials maintain traps in various places to determine mosquito numbers, with fogging occurring once these numbers reach a threshold value.

Please note: the above are my non-scientific ramblings. More accurate date can likely be obtained from the fine people of Environment Canada, who seemingly can't develop an accurate forecast to save their lives but do fine job of collecting data after the fact. :rolleyes

Guest silverbirdie

I'm arriving a day early with my parents. Any suggestions for fun stuff to do in the city? We'd like to look around, go to some nice restaurants, etc...whats there to do??

Guest fever meds

fur coats? what? we're really not that cold. if there was never any wind, our -30 wouldn't be bad at all, as it is a dry cold, not the whistler -15 with humidity which is way worse in my unscientific opinion.

our summers are awesome (except 2004, when I wrote the MCAT lucky me ). blue skies, warm weather. but I can't think back as far as ManitobaMed (who won't tell me who he/she is either ;-)

Night Activities with Parents:

I highly recommend going to Hy's Steak House. It is fairly upscale ($25-$35 for most entrees), decor is absolutely amazing (recently redone a few years ago). If you want to feel important before your interview, this is agreat location to do it. (Brad Pitt ate here when in Winnipeg this summer). Did i say highly recommended?

Hu's On First: Fairly new Asian style restaurant downtown. GREAT decor (but Hy's is still more "business"), good fairly scenic area. Menu is good, reasonably priced. I recommend ordering a few entrees and sharing. Go for the lettuce wraps for starters! Fantastic! Also good choice for vegetarians!

529 Wellington is one of the highest end restaurants in Winnipeg, but in my opinion way too expensive for what it is worth (like an over priced Napa Valley priced restaurant :-)

Corydon, "little Italy", has a lot of great little restaurants down its street as one approaches Pembina highway.

Although a little cliche, The Forks area is probably one of the better places to visit, at least at night. St. Bonfiace has a few nice coffee shops, and you are by the newly design bridge (fun to walk around down there).

I personally just went out for a nice dinner, and then went to sleep early before my interviews, so I am at a loss for further activities. Maybe drive around the downtown campus area to get an idea of the hospital complex.

Edited: St. B = St. Boniface....hospital lingo....

Guest WesternMan

If your down with sushi and such things, winnipeg has a maaaddd sushi game..tonnes of good restaurants at reasonable prices..

Guest ManitobaMed

Hey fever meds,

In all fairness, I don't know who you are, either. :b

a) I'm a "she"

B) I'm in med 4

c) I matched to peds

d) I'm slightly soccer mad

As around the med 1 class, and this should be sufficient information to figure out who I am.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kellyl20

Hello:

Can someone tell me which part of town is better to live in, across the river the downtown side or somewhere near the river on Roslyn Road, the opposite side. Also, is traffic really bad on that small bridge?

How is the public transport system for going over the bridge to the hospital?

Thanks.

Guest fever meds

maybe its just me, but could you be a little more specific on the question?

Roseyln road is inthe osbourne section... several of our class do live on the street and like it. Traffic does get bad around there but you are still close to the campus.

www.google.ca/local?f=q&h...6,0.085831

I am probably not the best person to answer this since I live at home, near Assinniboine park, but I would avoid any place close to the university, unless you want to live in the med appartments. The med appartments actually look pretty good considering they are a 1 minute walk away. the price? well they're not the prettiest apartments...but they are very convienant

Guest kellyl20

Thanks fever meds. I am assuming that Rosyln Road is on the other side of the bridge and the hospitals are on the opposite side/downtown side. Right?

When you say the traffic can be bad, do you mean on the bridge going across to the hospital side or just in general around that area Rosyln Road, or both?

The Osbourne section is an ok area?

Also, where is best place to buy furniture; Winnipeg does not have an Ikea.

Guest ManitobaUWO

I hear the area around the school can get a little sketchy. Does anyone know if the medical apartments are relatively safe (ie break-ins :hat :evil 0] :smokin etc.)?

Are people generally saisfied with them?

(thx for any help)

The med apts are a pretty good deal in my opinion. I've been in a few of them and they seem pretty decent. The plusses are that rent is only ~$350 a month and I believe you are guaranteed a parking spot somewhere, which is solid gold because a parking spot for normal people is a 2.5 year waiting list.

Guest fever meds

the waiting list 2.5 years!!! no way...its usually only a year. well anyway it goes quicker than what they say.

unless of course you have my charm ;-)

Guest silverjelly86

What about renting parking from people who live nearby Brodie? Does that usually also have long waiting lists? How accepting are residents to these types of arrangements?

yeah, there are usually plenty of spots in back lanes and whatnot to park in, you just have to keep an eagle eye on the bulliten boards for ads from local residents. I just prefer the safety of a monitored parking lot or parkade over a dark back lane. Although I am currently parking at the Maryland hotel for $45 a month or something like that, which isn't much safer than a back lane (but the openings for local resident parking spots are usually up at the beginning of the school year). I spent the majority of the year spending $6 a day at the parkades, which ended up being full about 50% of the time.

Guest fever meds

Well my adventerous friends in dentistry actually go door to door knocking on peoples houses asking if they will rent their garages...but I am not sure I would be that aggressive.

If Manitoba is remotely an interest, I would apply now, even if you don't get in or decline. Worst case scenario you refuse the pass if it comes up, and reapply. I applied a year ahead and it worked out for me (but my dad thinks I have rabbits feet, go figure).

However, make sure when applying that you say you will accept ANYTHING that comes up. If you only say you want parkades, it will take forever! I initally had a surface lot for 1 month (can you believe that hardship? j/k) and then was transferred to Emily.

Apply now!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived