Premed 101 Forums

Please be honest with me about Harvard etc...

Guest UWOmalestudent

Guest UWOmalestudent

I have just finished my first year at UWO.

My calculated OMSAS GPA is only 3.98 :(

Please be honest, and say the truth.

If I continue to get a GPA like this in my second year, do I even stand a chance at getting into Harvard?

It is my dream to go to Harvard, and I'm afraid 3.98 just isn't going to cut it........

People tell me you need 4.0 or I stand no chance.

Are you joking?

Harvard doesn't just take people with 4.0s. Your stats are one part of your package. The girl I knew who got into Harvard not only had a 4.0 but was the president of the student body, did extensive biochem research and did all these wonderful things.

A 3.98 is virtually the same as a 4.0. Harvard will look at other things when deciding whether or not to accept you. The majority of applicants who apply will have a GPA similar to yours. It's called self-selection.

Guest UWOmalestudent

What???!!!???

Are you serious moo?

Medical schools see 3.98 and 4.0 as virtually the same???

Do you have any personal experience/stats/proof that this is the case?

For extra curricular activites I think I'm good.

I volunteer at church and other neighborhood cleanup get-togethers, as well as the food bank during Christmas.

However, I haven't volunteered in a hospital.

Moo, are you sure 3.98 is competitive enough for Harvard?

Their average admissions stats are 3.8. BUT you have to realize that most of these people come from hard-core US schools like MIT, Caltech, Berkeley, Princeton, Harvard, Yale, etc. As much as I hate to say it, these schools are way more rigorous than any Canadian school, including UT.

And yes, I have personaly experience that a 3.98 will not eliminate you from competition at Harvard. But if you focus too much on academics and forget about the other BS schools are looking for you may not get in.

Guest UWOmalestudent

^ Assuming I can keep up my GPA of around 4.0 and get above 35P on the MCAT, do you think I stand a **GOOD SHOT** of getting in?

I can worry about EC/Volunteer later if I must....

Guest rads

Hey,

First things first... Congrats on your 3.98 GPA! That is quite a feat, and I definitely recommend that you maintain that throughout the next three years before you apply. It will definitely make things easier.

Now, how hard is it to get into HMS? Like Moo said, a 4.00 GPA is one aspect of your application. The trifecta into any medical school are as follows: GPA/MCAT, Research, and Extra-curricular.

Your GPA is fine. MCAT scores for HMS will need to be at least 35 or above (preferably, over 38 with perfect 13-15 score in verbal, and minimum 12+ on your B/P). Why am I being so harsh about this? You are coming from UWO. UWO is *UNKNOWN* in the US. The only two Canadian schools people know about in the US are McGill and the University of Toronto. So, when they hear UWO, they are like, "what's that and is it any good?". Is a 3.98 from UWO as good as a 3.98 from UToronto? Sorry, I'm being so harsh... It's the reality of it. Basically, like Moo says, you are competing with students from Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc. for a spot at HMS. Everyone recognizes those schools to be tier 1.. You have to be able to convince an admissions officer to take a risk on taking you over one of these equally qualifiede applicants. So, a great MCAT score eases the minds of many admissions officers: the 38+ tells them that you are indeed academically capable and that the 3.98 is a legitimate score.

Secondly, research should be part of your "attack". It should be either basic science or clinically oriented (basic science prefered) with hopefully a publication or two before applying. I would say aim for at least one first-author pub and a few scientific abstracts or presentations. Mind you, this is extremely difficult to achieve, but if you accomplish this, you'll be well positioned (very well positioned!).

Finally, EC/Volunteer experiences are key. Why do you want to be a doctor? You need to understand what you're getting yourself into. So, volunteering at a hospital, etc. is a start. But, since we're talking about HMS, more *remarkable* things will be necessary. Of the people I know who were accepted into HMS, I would say, student body prez, starting up health clinics in africa, running an innercity literacy program, etc. were all activities that they did. HMS is looking for the future "leaders of medicine", and to be that, you need to show that you have a track record for it. I'm a little worried that you don't think this is important. I honestly believe that EC/Volunteer work is where you can make yourself shine and standout from everyone else. Talking about your GPA for a two-hour interview gets mighty dull.

That's pretty much it. Even with the above, no one WALKS into HMS. It is one of the most prestigious schools in the US. But, it's not impossible for a Canadian to get into. I know quite a few Canadians who were accepted at the top US medical schools (and a lot of truly remarkable applicants who weren't!). You're definitely on the right path of having a shot at the top schools!

Yet, my real concern is that you seem to value your self-worth on the *need* to get into Harvard... If that's the case, you're setting yourself up for a world of disappointment in the future. Getting into medical school is the easy part. Try getting into residency.

Personally, after being accepted to HMS, JHU, etc. and graduating from one of the top tier schools, I would have to say that any medical school would have trained me just as well. Seriously, it's how much you put into it. In the end, we'll all be doctors and even those who don't goto the HMS's of the world will end up going to awesome residencies and come out as a star. So cheers!

Guest rads

"any medical school would have trained me just as well"... I should say, any medical school would have trained me just as well clinically ;) I loved the outside opportunities that my medical school provided!

Archived