Premed 101 Forums

Rochester vs. UBC....Need some advice to make my decision

Guest mE

Hi everyone…I am having a very tough time making my decision so I need your advice:D

I am a Canadian citizen and also have a U.S. green card. I have been accepted into University of Rochester (in New York) and UBC, but I don’t know which one to choose. Rochester ranks high (top 10) in primary care in U.S. (good!! I am not interested in research), has a very interesting curriculum, and a much smaller class size compared to UBC. However it is expensive (although I have been approved for US government loans), away from my hometown Vancouver (which I love), away from my family and friends, and in a very cold city :\ However, I have heard that I might have a better chance of getting a residency position in my first choice in U.S. compared to Canada since there are more positions available. So….based on these facts what do you suggest???? Should I go or should I stay???:rolleyes

Congrats! Nobody can make that decision for you. Rochester is a great school though. My friends who interviewed there loved it. Where would you like to practice eventually? If it's Canada, UBC would probably be better. If you don't care, and just want to get into a competitive specialty in Canada or the US, then Rochester would be a better investment.

Guest rads

I agree with Moo.

If you want to stay in the US, goto Rochester. If you want to stay in Canada, goto UBC. I don't think going to Rochester would help you land a competitive specialty in Canada.

Guest studentz

Don't know too much about UBC but Rochester's curriculum looks outstanding.

How much more will it cost you? Did you get grants too or do you have to cover the whole thing with loans?

I've got ~9000 in subsidized stafford loans and ~33000 in unsubsidized stafford loans...I am not sure if the 9000 is the grant portion or not.

Oh...The education expenses at Rochester is approx 39000 US dollars and at UBC is approx 20000 Canadian dollars :o

Guest studentz

Um...yeah...that's a big difference.

I guess you have to take a look at the programs, facilities (Strong is supposed to be a great hospital), and your ultimate goals. You said you're not interested in research; do you think you want to specialize or do family med or peds? I don't know what the income is in the US for those docs but family and peds residencies aren't that hard to land (in general, I'm not talking about peds at CHOP here) so maybe the difference between UBC/Rochester won't be enough in that case to be worth the money, especially if you want to practice in Canada. Also, if you don't plan on doing a specialty that pays a hell of a lot, you have to consider the debt you'll rack up there.

The guy that lived across from me in res during my undergrad was from Rochester and though we used to bug him about the location, he always said that there was a fair bit of stuff to do there, the university has one of the best music schools in the country so there's a lot going on at UR, and you're close to a number of large cities.

Good luck with your decision...there are so many factors at play here. Just consider the things you find important in a medical education, your career goals and personal finances and pick the school that best matches your needs/interests.

I actually want to specialize...I have plastic surgery on mind now (I am aware that I may change my mind once in school). Well...in any case, thank you so much for the advice and the feedbacks. I guess my decision will ultimately rest on where I want to practice and that I don't know yet :\

Yeah, I say if you are definitely sure you want to do plastics IN CANADA then UBC would probably be better. But if you wanna do plastics ANYWHERE then Rochester would be worth the extra investment. The difference in tuition will be miniscule when compared to the salary you would make as a plastic surgeon. Just remember though, that people's minds change throughout med school and even residency. So many of my friends who wanted to do something competitive have backed off because of burnout or just not wanting to work that hard. Of course I am not saying you'll be like that but just be open to the fact that lots of people change their minds.

Guest Scottish Chap

Congratulations. Since you've gained entry into a Canadian school, I would go there. It will make life so much easier for you in the end (unless you don't mind the slight possibility of not returning to Canada to practice medicine).

Honestly, no matter what people may tell you or what the national scoop says, Rochester is a very research-focused school and there's no getting away from that; it is their major strength and focus. If you want to do primary care, I have to question if that huge amount of debt is really worth it. As long as your board scores are good, you'll get your first choice in primary care attending any medical school. Attending schools like Rochester is only helpful if you want to go into a very competitive specialty, where a better known chairman can write you a strong letter to increase your chances of getting there..

I was accepted at Rochester but I chose not to go there. I did my four years of graduate work there and, honestly, the medical school and Strong Memorial really is incredibly research-focused. Several friends of mine who went there left without being able to do a lot of things clinically; they have so much money (again, from research) to cushion you that you might end up graduating as a 'medical sissy'. In addition, the student body is a mixed bag; I found them to be either highly competitive with their classmates or pretty miserable. Students that truly loved the place (the ones you see on interview day who were very different from the students that I knew) were definitely in the minority.

Now, that said, the preclinical faculty are excellent and dedicated to the students so you will do well on Step 1. Also, the city itself is great and I never had any complaints (other than 5 months of snow every year). Well, I just wanted to give you a slightly different opinion since I've been there. Good luck with your decision.

Archived