Premed 101 Forums

three bad years of undergrad, can I still get in? how?

Guest DSheerin

Guest DSheerin

that i'll be able to get into med school eventually.

Here's my storymy first year was bad, (65), my second year was worse (barely a 50), third year was better (70), my fourth year was good (80) and my fifth year should be in the 80 range. now if I take a sixth year and do well is there still a possibility of me getting into med school?

Also, I may be doing my MA next year (still haven't heard and its nearly May!!) and this will obviously preclude the possibility of me doing a sixth undergrad year... will an MA help as well?

I know its harsh, but am I at (or beyond) the point where I should just forget about medicine and focus on something else?

Guest bioboy2007

I would take the 6th year of undergrad. Why?

- med schools look greatly at your undergrad marks, do well next year, apply the year after that, and you should be okay.

- depending on where you are studying and where you plan to go for med school, many schools look at your two most recently completed full-time years. Thus, doing well in a 6th year will improve chances.

- you probably have the hang of undergrad by now, and your improvement indicates that you have a better understanding of what you are doing. The transition into a grad program could hurt you and not all schools may consider your status as a Grad student.

Were most of your pre-requisite courses in your first and second years? If so, make sure to take advanced level courses to show that you have mastered these concepts.

To be frank, your grades in the first few years aren't stellar. But if you have a real desire to be a doctor, can show med schools that you are a different student today as compared to before, and have shown other ways that you are a strong applicant (good EC's, etc.), you still have a chance.

There's no point in giving up, unless you are doing medicine for the wrong reasons (the money, prestige, family pressure, etc.)

Guest Madz25

In addition to some schools looking at your most recent years, some look at only your best 2 years and others use weighting formulas - which may all work to your advantage.

Madz

Guest Dr3ni

ok

well i noticed how alot of posts deal with " i had a horrible first couple of years not what?" and the main answers are - dont forget that some schools only look at your most recent/best two years. - and im not flamming anything i've also posted the "i screwed up post".

but what are the 'many' schools that look at the applicants in this way?

-i know of western, and queens who look at your best/most recent 2 years.

-Uoft drops alot of courses, depending if you took a full course load or not

- Ottawa looks at your most recent 3 years with a weighting formula.

i know calgary has something but i dont know really what.

so i just wanted to know what the other schools are?

thanks

dr3ni

Guest muchdutch
but am I at (or beyond) the point where I should just forget about medicine

if it's really something that you really want, it will never be too late to just 'forget' about it. you will persevere persevere, persevere until you get it.

Guest DSheerin

So yeah, I know it was still possible, i'm just wondering how feasible.

Regardless i'll be giving it my all no matter what i do!

Guest Maelswarm

Just ask the med school's admissions coordinator.

I'm curious as to what types of courses you could be taking in the upper years. I mean, you'd better be taking all 4th-year and masters-level courses in your 5th and 6th years, not stuff like "the sun and its neighbours".

People are too nice on this forum. Don't get your hopes up.

Guest DSheerin

I've been taking honours level anthropology courses (which is my major).

As well as a second year raster GIS course...

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

"The Sun and its Neighbours"? Cool! What schools offer that course? Sign me up! :lol

Best of luck!

Timmy

Archived