Premed 101 Forums

American citizen but did all of schooling in Canada

Guest allycat03

Guest allycat03

Hi everyone,

I am asking for a friend..if you are an American citizen, but all your schooling is in Canada, do American schools see you as a foreign student (and then you have higher standards..I assume), or are you viewed as though you went to an American school?

Thanks everyone! I only have experience with Canadian system so I couldn't answer his question!

Ally

As an American citizen you will be considered as an American who did their schooling in the US. Canadian undergraduate schools are considered the same as US undergraduate colleges.

Guest allycat03

Thanks moo, just another thing, does that make it easier for him to get in an American then it would for Canadian school? (He is a permenent resident). From what I see it seems as though American GPA and MCAT scores to be competitive are pretty similar to Canadian schools. I think of 3.8/4 and 32 MCAT to be competitive at Canadian schools, so is it basically the same at American school? Thanks again!

Ally

Is he a permanent resident of Canada, or the US? If he's a PR of the US then he's got all the rights of a US citizen with regards to applying to US schools. It would probably be harder for him to get into a Canadian school if he's got no Canadian citizenship or PR status simply because most Canadian schools don't even look at people who aren't Canadian citizens.

Guest allycat03

Hi Moo,

He is a permenent resident of Canada, not of the US. He's been here all his life just born in the US. I was under the impression though that Canadian schools would look at premenent residents?

OH, if he's a PR of Canada then that's just the same as being a citizen of Canada. He was born in the US so he's automatically a US citizen, so he's got the best of both worlds.

Archived