Premed 101 Forums

waitlist

Guest medschoolboy

Guest medschoolboy

as a canadian waitlisted at an american university, is the only way to get accepted off the waitlist if another canadian (or international) student rejects an acceptance? Or could I get in if an american rejects a spot.

I think if an American rejects the spot then you will get it, assuming you are next on the list. Most schools consider Canadians as out of state anyway, so you would have the same chance as anyone else.

Guest thatuvicguy

Hi moo,

Thanks for that tidbit - I had no idea that Canadians were considered as out-of-state and not international! After getting a bit buoyed by the back-up of applying to US schools next year, I was brought back to earth when I looked at the "international" stats for US med schools (posted on the SDN site). Didn't really seem like there were many getting in and I thought these included Canadians!

You have just brought my back-up hopes back to life! :P

Cheers,

thatuvicguy

Yep. There is a caveat though. Canadians are considered international when it comes to loan purposes (unless you are dual), that is, you will not be eligible for FAFSA and other government aid. But for admission purposes, Canadian universities are considered to be fully equivalent to American colleges and Canadian citizens are just considered to be out-of-state at MOST schools. However, schools like UCSF and UWashington do not take Canadians at all. Ditto for schools like Drexel, Rochester, Loyola, Rush, UIC and others.

Guest medschoolboy

but i believe that the stats you saw on SDN are for real international students, including canadians. i would think that canadians as öut of state" are more of an under the table categorization.

Archived