Premed 101 Forums

I got in to Penn State

Guest 15Sacha

Guest 15Sacha

Today is a wonderful day for me. I just got accepted into Penn State's beautiful medical school. Now here's the question. I won't hear back from Canadian schools until the end of May. They require a $100 deposit. Can I withdraw, if for any reason I choose not to go there? or are their any strings attached? thanks for all your help on this forum.:rollin

Congrats! You should send in your 100 dollar deposit. If you decide to withdraw before May 15, you will get it back. After that, it is nonrefundable but will likely be applied to your tuition if you decide to attend.

Guest medschoolboy

congrats!!! it must be such a relief to know that you're in at least somewhere. i also applied to american schools but got waitlisted.....must feel so good.

Guest 15Sacha

Hi leafstone,

just so you know, my mcat was the pits. I had a 7 in verbal and 10s in the other areas. My cumulative gpa was 3.88. What did it for me was all my experience in the hospital (>7 years of volunteering and working), research (one summer), and an extremely heart felt letter stating why they should accept me. I hit it off in the interview too and kinda knew i was in. If you need any help or have any other questions, let me know. p.s. for all of you who think it is impossible to get into medical school with a poor mcat score, this is not the case. Just put more effort into other areas and convince them that the mcat says nothing.

Guest leafsone

15 Sacha,

It's kind of nice to hear that super high MCATs aren't absolutely necessary. I'm in a similar situation to you (although GPA isn't as high). Got 10s on each section and GPA is around 3.83 - we'll see how finals affect this.:\ . I think that my strengths are also in extracurriculars etc., and hopefully those will stand out to the adcoms (esp. Penn State) in the US, as they definitely haven't helped out here in Canada.

Guest 15Sacha

Leafsone, your gpa and mcat sound really good. You should have no problem here or in the states. I managed to get interviews at Ottawa and U of T with my shabby mcat and non-perfect gpa. Maybe, you just need to perfect your essays a bit. Wow! you have nothing to worry about. I take it you applied this year with no success? If so, keep on trying because you have what it takes.:)

Guest gonzo23

Sasha,

I too have a 7 in verbal... and a 28Q after a second MCAT taking. If this year doesn't work out with UT I was planning on writing the MCAT again and applying to every US school possible next year alongside the canadian ones. Any thoughts of where you felt your MCAT score was valid around the states? Did you get any other interviews down there?

It's nice to see that schools aren't kicking people's asses with a low score in one section of the MCAT (since it seems you did fine in all the rest... like me). I hope UT works out for you as well!

Man. $100 deposit? That's nothing compared to the $6000 Irish schools expect you to put down (the reason I decided I'd rather be in the process another year than jump over to Ireland).

Congrats!

Guest 15Sacha

Hi gonzo23,

I only applied to Penn state and Albany in New York. I got interviews at both and I declined the interview at Albany because I got accepted at Penn state and boy was the school breathtaking. Its nice to hear that U of T knows you are a good candidate and hopefully we will meet in the summer at O week.

Before I had got into Penn, I was definitely going to write my mcat over and as a matter of fact.....I was already registered in a prep course. So, if things don't work out for you this time then definitely do it over and I'm sure you will kick butt. It also helps applying to the US because it makes you more relaxed for your Canadian interviews). Knowing that you are already set for the fall is a plus. I SURE HATE WAITING!!!!!!!!...NONETHELESS>:

Archived