Premed 101 Forums

American Med?

Guest KineticsChick

Guest KineticsChick

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew the American Med schools that seemed to have the lowest gpa and prereq cut offs???

:o

Guest peachy

Not relevant to the title of this thread, but I wonder why so few Canadian students are willing to post their profiles on mdapplicants.com?

Guest UTMed07
I wonder why so few Canadian students are willing to post their profiles...

I don't have the answer... but here are some guesses:

a) Canadians don't know the site exists

B) it is a US centric site, Canadians prefer Canadian sites :P

c) Canadians aren't as in your face about their sucesses as Americans (?)

d) the people that get accepted in the US are more tech savvy (?) (I know they typically have more students with a background in engineering... some US schools have biomed eng/MD programs)

Guest peachy
a) Canadians don't know the site exists
I agree with all the other reasons....but I think way more people have read the links to it on this board than have posted their profiles! :) Maybe it's less relevant to Canadian applicants, because the applications here are relatively clear-cut (GPA worth x%, etc), too.

Guest aneliz

The US seems to be much more 'stat centred'...where this is not the case in Canada. In the US, I get the impression that somebody with a good GPA/MCAT is almost guaranteed to get in....it is just a question of where. So, knowing the 'stats' of the successful and unsuccessful applicants to a particular school is much more informative than it is here....where there seems to be more 'variability' in who gets in and a smaller correlation between 'GPA/MCAT and chance for success' and GPA/MCAT of class and so-called 'quality of the school'.

Those that have gotten into Canadian schools know that those types of stats are essentially meaningless to future applicants....so they are probably not willing to put in the time to fill in the form.

My two cents.

Guest UTMed07
The US seems to be much more 'stat centred'...where this is not the case in Canada.

Huh? If you're an Ontarian, a lot of schools in Canada will shread your application if you don't make the cut-offs. GPA isn't up to snuff? Seems to me your chances are close to nill at Ottawa and Toronto. Have one weaker MCAT section? You can pretty much forget Queen's and UWO. Looking at OOP schools? Hope you have a good MCAT... tens in each section at least and something like a 3.7+ GPA.

In the US, I get the impression that somebody with a good GPA/MCAT is almost guaranteed to get in...
I think that applies here as well. The applicants with good numbers get interviews across the country... and I tend to think that if you have 5 or 6 interviews you get in somewhere.

Those that have gotten into Canadian schools know that those types of stats are essentially meaningless to future applicants.
Disagree... but perhaps I'll be wiser on that one when I see admissions from the other side.

Guest peachy
Huh? If you're an Ontarian, a lot of schools in Canada will shread your application if you don't make the cut-offs. GPA isn't up to snuff? Seems to me your chances are close to nill at Ottawa and Toronto. Have one weaker MCAT section? You can pretty much forget Queen's and UWO. Looking at OOP schools? Hope you have a good MCAT... tens in each section at least and something like a 3.7+ GPA.
Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't say that Ontario is less stat-centred, only that it's differently centred. E.g. great MCAT marks won't help your app very much, but poor marks will hurt it much more than in the US. Here, you must have the stats to get the interview, there's no leeway. I do think the stats section of mdapplicants.com is less helpful to Canadians for schools like Queen's where stats ONLY matter in terms of meeting the cutoffs.

Regardless, it seems to me that an awful lot of people continue to be interested in the "stats" of people who get in. There's a reason why in the "Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted" threads people have been asked to give their stats, and there's a reason why there are frequent posts asking about required stats. (e.g. the "Do I really have a chance if I only meet the minimum cutoffs?"-type threads)

To answer KineticsChick's original question, I would definitely say Finch University of Health Sciences/Chicago Medical School is one of the easier US schools to get into. I know cuz I was offered admission there this year and I only applied there as a back-up in case I get rejected by all the Canadian schools to which I applied. I don't remember what their average GPA was (probably around 3.4?), but their MCAT's were 8 for VR, 10 for both PS and BS, and O for WS. These might not even be cut-offs either, as I think these were the stats of those admitted last year.

However, I must warn you that FUHS/CMS isn't located in a very nice area (VERY North Chicago), and their tuition is way too high for this kind of medical school ($37K US/year!!). Even though I did get a good impression during my interview, FUHS/CMS would still be my last resort. I hope that helped!

finch is actually not that easy to get into. THe avg gpa is so low because a significant portion of their class (around 40%?) are from the Applied Physiology MS program, which is basically for med school rejects. YOu do one year in this program and if you maintain a certain avg you are accepted into the MD program the next year. Think of it as a five year decelerated program. The people who get into Finch the regular way tend to have avgs of about 3.5 or 3.6. But I agree it is easier than most schools... NYMC is another school that is easy to get into. And North Chicago is in the boonies. ALthough you do your rotations at the new Cook county hospital, where you get to see a lot of stuff.

I just did a quick search for you in my Princeton Review 'Complete Book of Medical Schools', and here are some of the private US schools that have low requirements in addition to FinchU/CMS:

(Format: School name - GPA, average MCAT VR/BS/PS/WS, tuition, English requirement)

1. Albany Med. College - 3.5, 9/10/10/P, $34K, no

2. MCP Hahnemann (Drexel) Univ. - 3.4, 9/9/9/O, ?, yes

3. Med. College of Wisconsin - ?, 10/10/10/P, $27K, yes

4. New York Med. College - 3.4, 9/10/10/?, $31K, yes

5. Rush Med. College - ?, 10/9/9/?, $26K, no

6. Temple Univ. - 3.4, 9/10/10/Q, $25K, no

7. Wake Forest Univ. - 3.4, 10/10/10/P, $28K, no

You should check out these schools for more information though, especially regarding international applications. Good luck! :)

Hey Ritt,

Those are out-of-state fees in US dollars. I believe Canadian students are considered out-of-state applicants at most schools, so these would apply to them. However, I would suggest looking this info. up more carefully yourself so you don't get any big surprises once you're in!!

Archived