Premed 101 Forums

UCONN vs. George Washington

Guest Chieka101

Guest Chieka101

Hey. Just wondering how these schools compare. I got an acceptance to UCONN and an interview for GW, which I'm trying to decide whether to attend.

I'm really concerned about getting a good quality education, considering that the American schools are not all the same across the board as Canadian schools are.

Determining which school is better, for me, has really been a matter of glancing at the USnews rating, which arguably has its shortcomings. Does anyone have any advice / info re the quality of education at both schools? Or can anyone suggest any additional resources?

Thanks,

C.

I interviewed at GWU last year, and I can honestly say that you will get a great education there. They are located in DC, which will afford great opportunities. I remember them saying that Dick Cheney even stayed at their hospital. They are a very clinical school and they are very good at training clinicians. Their research however leaves a little to be desired. However, with that said, it's very expensive, even more expensive than what I'm paying here at NWU. UCONN is a state school which means your education will be solid. Plus they've got a great basketball team over there, so watch out when March hits.

Guest chrys42

Congrats on the acceptance! Both are solid schools, and I don't think I would worry too much about the quality of education at either school. I would look at the US News rating, just to get an idea of where they generally stand. However, I also feel that your impression of the school during your interview should also play a big role in your eventual decision. You can really get a feel for the place and what sort of students go there.

One big factor to consider is what sort of curriculum they have, and whether the students are satisfied. A lot of schools in the US are currently in transition. There's a shift towards PBL (which I'm personally in favor of), but many schools don't offer a complete PBL program. For example, I know UPenn only has 20 slots allocated for PBL and the rest of the class is stuck in traditional curriculum.

I hope that was somewhat helpful. :)

Guest Chieka101

Thanks for the info, guys. I've cancelled the interview, and withdrawn my app from GW. I hear it's an expensive school (UCONN will reclassify me as an in-state student after first year), and I probably wouldn't attend it anyway, so why make the trip? I have neither the time nor the money. ;P

C.

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Hey Cheika,

are you planning on going to the UConn second look weekend in March?? I just got the email, and think I may go check it out to get an even better handle on life as a student there. Looks like some fun. Anyway, after hearing from UCOnn, I withdrew most of my applications - safe Baylor. The rest were gunna be too expensive over the entire 4 years, and I was really happy with UConn. Just think, it's 2 hrs away from NYC, Boston, Philly and a few from D.C. Great central location for weekend trips. Anyway, good luck with your Canadians.

~JZ

Guest Chieka101

I just got my email, and thought, "I'm going to see if Bizzak is going." But your PM is disabled! Oh well.

Hmm... I don't know if I'm going. I know that UCONN is about the only school I'll want to go in the states, so going to the weekend won't sway me or anything. And if I get into Canadian schools, I am definitely staying... So I think, what's the point of going down there for the weekend? It really won't make a difference, except to consume more time and money, which I've already proclaimed I don't have :D

I dunno. I'll think more about it, talk to some people (I got a friend in second year at UCONN). Wait, isn't that weekend the same as some of the Ontario schools' interview weekend?

Whatever. Enough with the terrible stream of consciousness ;)

C.

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Ahhh, you make very good points. I guess it doesn't really make that much sense to go down, other than for the sake of getting a weekend to relax. I suppose I was secretly hoping that they were gunna take us to a UConn basketball game or something to twist our arms. Yeah, UConn is the only school I am considering seriously now if Canadians don't work out. I had an interview at Dal, and sincerely hope that works out for me. I would much rather stay in the homeland too. March 21/22 is an interview weekend for one of the Ontario schools at least I think. Right on, well, I guess the decision has been made. I echo you on the scarcity of resources as well - this has been a financially draining period to say the least. However much I have spent thus far does not compare to the joy of knowing that I will be doing that which i am so passionate about come Sept.

~JZ

Guest sally2001

chieka101 and guess whos bizzak, congratulations to both of you on your acceptance. chieka101, you mentioned uconn will reclassify you as in-state after first year. i'm curious what the delta tuition fee will be between out-of-state and in-state? do you know if this is standard in u.s. med schools or is it unique to uconn?

I think you guys should definitely go to second look. I know here at Northwestern they pay for your trip, plane ticket and everything. Even if you're set on going (or not) it's a fun time. I'm sure the med students will take you out, show you around town, and you get to experience "a day in the life."

Guest BrainDrain

Second Look Weekends are a great way to meet your future classmates and get to know more about the school. Plus, I couldn't turn down free plane tickets, hotel and food:)

Sally2001,

UCONN is one of the few schools where out-of-staters (~$28K) can switch to in-state tuition (~$15K) after their first year.

BrainDrain

U.S.outtahere.gifCanada

Guest Chieka101

Guess whoz Bizzak, don't pay attention to my previous ramblings. I really want to go! I talked to my friend, plus I actually looked at the itinerary and it sounds exciting. Braindrain and moo got me thinking too...

I'm going to call the office for more info. I hope you decide to go too. Good luck with Dal.

C.

P.S. to Braindrain: does UCONN cover transportation? There was no mention of that in the email...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Chieka

Murse, I'm proudly Canadian! :D

I have to admit that this fact worked against me a little during the U.S. apps. Half the schools I applied to didn't even look at my app because I wasn't an American citizen. Many schools require that you be an American citizen or permanent resident. For schools that take Canadians, most require international student fees; tuition is about $30K American per year! 8o

UCONN is pretty good in that they'll reclasify Canadian students as in-staters after the first year.

C.

Archived