Premed 101 Forums

To BrainDrain and others accepted in both Canada and U.S.

Guest Chieka

Guest Chieka

What factors influenced your final decision? I'm especially curious about those who chose U.S. schools over Canadian schools. As I've been accepted to American schools and am interviewing at Canadian schools, I hope that I'll have a chance to choose between the two countries. Up until a couple days ago, I was convinced I'd stay in Canada, but now I'm having second thoughts. So, please share what influenced your decisions.

Thanks,

C.

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Hey Cheika,

long time no speak. Hope all of your interviews thus far have gone well. I understand from your post that you are contemplating a US school over a Canadian if the choice arose. Can I ask you what in the past couple of days has made you question your initial inclination?? Just curious. Anyway, best of luck with the whole process, and look forward to hearing all of your god news and hopefully helping you through your decisions. You know I would offer advice right now, btu I am in the same situation as you :)

~JZ

Guest Chieka

Hey Bizzak,

I was talking to my friend at UCONN - he didn't seem to think that the choice would be an easy one (I did). I didn't get a chance to talk to him too long, but he got me thinking, nonetheless. So I was just wondering what influenced others....

C.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BrainDrain

I eventually want to practice medicine in the U.S. so going to medschool in the States is an obvious factor. Of course, you can still do this with an MD from a Canadian school but it would be more difficult in that you would not have the same opportunities to make connections, etc. My choice also came down to specific schools (UofT vs. several top American schools) and I had decided after interviewing that American schools just had more to offer.

Research: there is no question that going to a private well-funded school in the U.S. will afford you greater research opportunities

Facilities: state-of-the-art facilities, everything is high-tech...puts anything up here to shame I have to admit (if you've seen MSB at UofT, you know what I mean)...library and athletic facilities dedicated for med students!

Faculty/Student Ratio: Faculty at the top schools in the U.S. are all leaders in their fields...greater opportunities to make connections and the sheer number of faculty improves the quality of medical instruction

Money/scholarships: Even though tuition seems alot, there are numerous scholarship opportunities (need-based and academic), even for international students. Some schools even pay for airfare and hotel for your interview trip or offer to send an interviewer for a local interview

Residency matching: Going to a top American school allows you greater opportunities to match in competitive residencies...most top schools boast an excellent percentage of grads getting their first choice on the match

Image: I felt that the students at these various schools were more eager to promote their school and openly willing to share their experiences with applicants. On the contrary, UofT students did not speak as highly about their own school and it seemed like taking applicants on the interview tour was more of a duty for them (this was last year's experience)

Here's what people on SDN had to say:

www.studentdoctor.net/for...+canadians

Chieka, good luck wherever you decide to go

Guest Chieka

Thanks for the info (and the link) BrainDrain. That's plenty to chew on. As of now, though, it looks like U of T is my first choice. (I can just imagine you cringing at the sound of that ;) )

C.

Archived