Premed 101 Forums

for ontario student, do we have to take one year english?

Guest xlinked

Guest xlinked

since most us medical school need one year english course credit, do we(ontarion student) have to take that sh!t course? or we can use our OAC english credit instead? if so, which school accepts that?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Guest BrainDrain

There are about 50 schools that do not require English...I applied to schools w/o considering the requirement and told them I will take it during the summer before medschool starts. That worked out fine. They want college level English so OAC is not good enough. But most schools consider any English lit/writing/linguistics course so you don't necessarily need the basic ENG101

Guest xlinked

so what are the 50 schools that dont want english?

and i heard before that some schools accept OAC ENGLISH as well, is that true?

thanks alot

Guest marbledust

Is it really that hard to take a first year English course or two? You can take a novel and short story class - much less painful than a composition class. First year english isn't particularly taxing.

I don't think I would base which med schools to apply to based on whether they require first year university english...you will have to bypass an awful lot of good schools. Just something to think about...

Guest Chieka

I agree with marbledust on this one. English is not THAT bad, at least not bad enough to drastically reduce your medical school options.

I think in addition to marbledust's suggested courses, you may also consider taking a course in English criticism and theory. Out of all the English courses that I've taken so far (quite a few!), I found that one to be the most compatible with the right brain mode (that's the one for sciences, right?)of thinking. You may have more trouble with the straight literature courses, which tend to involve a lot of subjective interpretion.

C.

Guest Chieka

Thanks for that clarification, UWOMED2005. There really is no way to guarantee the level of difficulty of a particular English course.

But I personally found the theory course (at UWO ;) ) easier to wrap my head around.

I guess a way of bringing some objectivity to your decision would be to check the professor's student evaluations.

C

Archived