Premed 101 Forums

When to apply?

Guest Yanuck

Guest Yanuck

I was wondering if someone could explain to me when its best to apply to US schools. I'll be writing the MCAT this august, and from what I udnerstand its a bit late to apply then.

Also, are there any good help sites out there for canadians applying to the US? This one site called 'cancucks ????" is no longer online.

Thanks

Guest WesternGirl

In the US, some people start applying as early as June. Since most of the schools have rolling admissions, applying later in the year can be a disadvantage. However, applying late is not *THAT* bad and you can still get in, as I did.

Since you're going to write the August MCAT, even if you apply really early, many schools will not look at your application until they receive your scores. But since some schools send secondary applications to all applicants, you would be better off sending your AMCAS application as soon as possible. You should try to send it by the summer and then just wait for secondaries to arrive.

I'm not sure about any sites specifically for Canadians applying to the States but you should check out http://www.studentdoctor.net for more info on the American process.

Guest brandonite

I am a moderator on SDN - http://www.studentdoctor.net - you will get a lot more people there that have experience applying to US schools. There is a thread somewhere by all the Canadians about their advice to people applying next year - I will try and find a link for you.

Anyway, applying over the summer is a good bet. July or August should leave you in fine shape. I applied last year in October and I was behind all the time in the process.

I also wrote the August MCAT, as did a lot of people. One of my friends from SDN wrote the August MCAT and got into half a dozen schools, including Columbia. Just make sure you submit your AMCAS in July or August!! September at the latest!

Good luck! Let me know how you make out...

Guest Yanuck

Thanks for the replies.

I was wondering if there are essays/letters required as part of the initial application, or whether these are required as part of the secondary application.

And which schools are knonw to accept canadians?

Lastly, what kind of GPA/MCATs are competitive?

Are there schools with fancy GPA formulas like Western here that only looks at your best year and final year etc..?

Guest WesternGirl

For the American schools which participate in the AMCAS (most of the schools do), the initial application consists of essays and a listing of your grades and activities. Letters of reference are needed with the secondary applications, which you receive from each school. As well, many secondary applications require essays themselves. It just never ends!

On another thread in this topic, there is a link to a discussion on which US schools accept Canadians (on http://www.studentdoctor.net).

In terms of GPA/MCAT scores, they really vary between the schools. But I have heard about people with MCAT scores in the mid 20s getting in and people with GPAs around 3.0-3.2 getting accepted. Keep in mind that the higher your stats are, the better chance you have.

As far as I have seen, there are no "fancy" GPA formulas like Western's. For most schools, an admissions committee selects the class, and it is more "holisitic" score (i.e., no real formula).

I hope this helps and just a word of caution - the application process is EXPENSIVE!!! The initial application costs quite a bit and the secondary applications also require more money.

Archived