Premed 101 Forums

*Calculating your AMCAS GPA

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Jeff S, UG2

Date:***8/27/2000 9:29 pm*PST

Anyone know roughly how American med schools calculate GPAs for students from Canadian universities? For OMSAS, getting an 80-84 in a particular course would be 3.7, 85-89 is a 3.9, and a 90+ is a 4.0. How would these be converted in the US?

Thanks,

Jeff UG2 (U of T)

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*M

Date:***2/18/2001 7:38 am*PST

The conversion tables are sent out with the AMCAS application.

From the university I'm at now for undergrad, all I know is that both an A, and an A+ count as a perfect 4.0.

• 2 months later...
Guest Ian Wong

Hi ink,

Isn't there gradings on the AMCAS GPA for marks in between letter grades, such as A-, B+ etc?

I went and took a quick look for the GPA scheme, and these were the closest two links I could find. The first link is the start page for the AMCAS application, and the second is a practice worksheet that you can use to fill out as a trial run before you fill in the real one.

The practice worksheet doesn't have a GPA table on it, but does tell you the other stuff you'll need for your application. It's in PDF format, so you'll need Adobe Acrobat to read it.

www.aamc.org/students/amcas/start.htm

www.aamc.org/students/applying/advisors/applicationworksheet.pdf

Ian

UBC, Med 3

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hexer

I'm in a canadian university but i went to a u.s. high school. Although in the states a 90 is an A(-), and A- here in canada is an 80, AMCAS recognizes that the two letter grades are equivalent even though the percentages aren't. But it's understandable how ink made that mistake, he may not be familiar with the canadian grading system or whatever. In any case, here is the conversion straight from the AMCAS application, for ontario universities:

87-100: 4.0

80-86: 3.7

75-79: 3.3

70-74: 3.0

65-69: 2.7

60-64: 2.3

55-59: 2.0

50-55: 1.7

This is straight out of the application form, and it applies for most ontario universities. It definitely applies to Queen's. you have to look at your school's grading system and see what an A is and what a B is etc, then match that with the appropriate scale. For example, here at Queen's we don't have D's, because a C is 50-64. Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

i was just wondering how sure hexer's conversions are for the rest of ontario schools (ie UofT, UWO, Mac etc.). unlike queen's, these schools have D grades (50-59%) and a high 60 at these schools are not considered B-. what hexer has listed here was scale "hh" on the AMCAS application. if someone can please explain the criteria to determine which of the scales listed for Cdn schools on the AMCAS app's are to be used it would be greatly appreciated. thx!

Guest Akane200

I could be wrong (since I'm pretty out of date now), but when you apply through the disk/program, you enter in your grades (letters and numbers) and set for your school. The AMCAS application program will convert these grades with the appropriate grade scale assigned to your school automatically.

They seem to have gone web based now, but it should be the same procedures/processes as when we had to send the disk in via mail.

As far as hexer's conversions go for U of T, they don't apply the way he states it. The scale used for U of T is based on letter grades only.

A, A+ (marks of 85-100) 4.0

A- (80-84) 3.7

B+ 3.3

B 3.0

thx for responding, however with the new AMCAS web based application there is no automatic conversion done for you by the program. the program req's you to type your official transcript grade and the AMCAS grade as determined by the "appropriate" scale provided.

Guest Akane200

Then I suggest that you e-mail or phone AMCAS to find out which scale to use for your school to be on the safe side since you are applying from a foreign school. You should check the AMCAS FAQs first of course, but I don't think they have it there.

thx for the advice. i have already written and called amcas - and was placed on hold for 45mins w/o someone answering the phone!. i was just wondering if somebody else out there had already written amcas and received a definite answer as i am still waiting patiently 2wks and 3 emails later........

• 6 months later...
Guest brandonite

9 or 10 out of what? most GPA's in Canada are out of 4, I think... University of Manitoba is 4.5 I guess, but Brandon University and the University of Winnipeg are both 4.0.

I think some Alberta schools are out of 9 or 10. Not too sure, though.

Guest Ian Wong

It totally varies! UVic, my university grades you on a nine-point scale. Many other universities use a four point scale or some variant of that, and I'm sure others still record your percentile grades.

You'll need to look up a specific university to figure out their grading system as there isn't one general rule that fits them all.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived