Premed 101 Forums

Can't Practice in Canada when doing med school in US?

Guest Braveheart

Guest Braveheart

Hey Guys,

I know this may seem like a simple question but I just don't get it. I've heard rumors from people that when someone goes to the States to do Med School, that they will be unable to do their residency or practice medicine in Canada. Is that true? Why? Isn't Canada's demand for doctors very high... if so, why would they be denying people who did med school in the US from practicing medicine in Canada? I really want to make it into med school in Canada, but it doesn't look like my chances are very good right now. I'm considering applying to the States but I do ultimately want to practice in Canada. Tell me what you all think. Thanks!

US grads can now match into the first round of CaRMs. For instance, I emailed UBC recently about this and this was their response:

Dear moo,

You may want to come to UBC at some point for an elective in one of the subspecialty areas. Other than that I can't think of anything else particular you could do. Yes - you are on par with the rest of the Canadian trainees. You file will be reviewed as if you were a Canadian graduate. We shortlist and offer interviews to abour 45% of the applicants who apply to the program.

Best of Luck

Hazel Wilcox

Program Administrator

Postgraduate Medical Education

UBC Department of Medicine

Take from this what you will. Will it actually be easier? Who knows.

Archived