Premed 101 Forums

Is there a such thing as 3 year B.SC in Winnipeg University?

Guest rappa619

Guest rappa619

A person that I know applied to the University of Winnipeg this year, he says that at Winnipeg, you can complete a 3 year bachelor of science program and then try to get into med school. He says that you can take 2 months off every year during summer and still complete it in 3 years. Also is there a high competition to get into med school in Manitoba as it is in other places like BC and Ontario?

Yes, I went to U of W and did a 3 year BSc. I had 2 months off in the first and second summers, and 4 months off at the end of 3rd year to the beginning of medical school. You actually get 4 months off at the end of each year if you take a normal course load and no spring classes, but i decided to take it easy with a lower course load during the year (24 credits) and spreading some into the spring for the first and second years.

There are few people in my class that also took the 3 year BSc. at U of W and went straight to U of M medicine as well

Guest fever meds

good topic. on a related one:

to apply to manitoba, they will accept any GPAs from courses done outside the regular session, i.e. summer biology. Other schools will not count GPA (but may give credit). E.g . Western

I also did a three year. However in some ontario schools a 3 year won't cut it (Northwestern, Western after this session I think, Queens?). I heard speculation MB is thinking of going to a 4 year requirement (which would really suck, considering med in MB at one point didn't even require a degree!)

Guest rappa619

I live in BC right now, but saving a year looks good. What kind of classes are requirements? Is there a Physics requirement or do you only need to take one course to prepare for the MCAT?

Which schools accept the 3 year course? If Manitoba chooses not to accept it, then am I screwed over after doing the 3 years?

The requirements for the degrees depend on what you would like to major in, such as a biochemistry major or just a general science major for example. Physics may or may not be a requirement depending on what field you would like to major in. U of M only requires that you have a full year of English and a full year of Biochemistry to gain acceptance, so physics doesn't really matter in that sense.

I'm not sure if other schools accept the 3 year, but U of M does. You are not screwed after 3 years either, because U of Winnipeg has 3 BSc. degree options.

1) 3 year BSc.

2) 4 year BSc.

3) 4 year BSc. Honors

In a nutshell, people will try to just do the 3 year and get into a professional program right away. If they are rejected, they will either:

A) Take a few courses here and there and apply the following year, still with a 3 year BSc.

B) Take a full course load and just upgrade to the 4 year BSc. the following year

C) Be ambitious and apply to pursue a 4 year Honors degree

As an extreme over generalization, people will pursue option A first usually, followed by option C, and lastly option B if they don't gain acceptance after a 3 year BSc.

Thus, U of Winnipeg will be a fantastic fit for you, you can save a year, and if that doesn't work you can still do wonders with a 4th year of schooling (I should be a recruiter for U of W, shouldn't I?)

Guest rappa619

When I go to apply online for Winnipeg, they give me choices of Bsc. and also Bsc. 4 years. So the regular Bsc. is the 3 year one? Also I was reading acceptance chart of class of 2005 into Manitoba, only 17-19 people come in like every year from Winnipeg. Is there just not that much competition to get into Med school from Winnipeg University, or do a lot of people not get accepted?

Yes, the regular BSc. is the 3 year one. And the reason for the stats is that U of W is WAY WAY WAY smaller than U of M. I think there is a total of just under 10,000 students at U of W (which includes all faculties like education, business, english, science, and every other arts major known to man), whereas U of M probably has 10,000 or more science students ALONE

Maybe your confusion lies in the school namings. There are two universities in winnipeg, one is called University of Winnipeg and the other is called University of Manitoba. Both universities offer BSc.'s, but only University of Manitoba offers M.D.

Guest rappa619

So if I go to Winnipeg and the Manitoba Med School changes their requirements to a 4 year bachelor of science like the poster above said, if they don't change it this year, that means that they will acknowledge the 3 year program if they change it in the middle of my 2nd year for example. The new rules would only apply to people starting the bachelor of science the year after the rule would be inflicted?

Guest fever meds

pardon the late responses. us lowly med 1's just finished our 2nd set of exams.

in short: if you're in the middle of your degree, i.e. 2nd year and they make the pre-req degree to be 4 years, they most likely will make the change go into effect about 1-2 years after they make the announcement. i think Western (they changed their requirements from a 3 to 4 year req) 2 years ago, and this the last time they'll accept a 3 year degree. .. i am not up on the current trends so please don't take this as 100% accurate.

There is a course called 'Ethics in Medicine and Law' through the philosophy department. I took it and I found it helped me a lot in the ethics and law portions of the medical school curriculum.

I barely remember what I took in first year, but I can make a good guess. I know that I took 24 credit hours in the fall and winter sessions, and 6 credit hours in the spring session

I know I took Intro. Chemistry 1 and 2, Intro psychology, Intro Calculus, Academic Writing, and Intro Biology 1 for fall/winter

I think in the spring I took Intro biology 2, and Intro to computers... or some other course along those lines

Guest fever meds

intro usually implies a basic rudimentary course like 101 or 102...i never went to U of W, so I can't qualify their naming conventions.

MCAT: well the core ones I found helpful (but not all)

- PHYSICS (know well)

- Organic chemistry (be comfortable)

- 2nd year level physiology (I swear it helped me score high in bio) - the course offered at U of M is amazing.

- Genetics (basic level; like mendelian ratios, etc)

other courses:

- biochem; debateable; i didn't have it; i don't regret it at all

- cell biology - i found it helpful; as with working in a lab during the summer (its amazing how many passages you can get right in the bio section just by knowing procedures and why they are used)

Archived