Premed 101 Forums

Case Western Reserve U

Guest Rome1

I was wondering if anyone here knew the med school course requirements as well as what sort of reference letters are needed. I am having no luck on their website. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

These are the requirements:

Biology. Students ordinarily satisfy this requirement if they've taken a one-year course in biology that stressed molecular and quantitative concepts. Courses in anatomy, taxonomy, botany and ecology will not satisfy this requirement.

Chemistry (through organic). Students normally meet this requirement if they've completed a one-year course in basic chemistry and a one-year course in organic chemistry. Other sequences, and courses that included organic/biologic chemistry content, are acceptable, too.

Basic physics. Students generally satisfy this requirement if they've taken a one-year course in physics.

Writing skills. Students typically meet this requirement if they've taken an introductory course in expository writing. The committee will consider other courses that required extensive writing, however.

You must have taken these prerequisites at an accredited, four-year, degree-granting American or Canadian college or university.

Although no other courses are required, many students find that a general survey course in biochemistry helps them in the first semester of medical school.

As an undergraduate, pursue a major in a subject of your own choosing; do not structure your undergraduate experiences in an attempt to sway the medical school admissions committee. Research strongly indicates that the choice of a major has little bearing on ultimate acceptance into medical school. Most applicants to medical school, however, are chemistry or biological science majors.

Hey moo,

First of all, happy new year.

It seems like you have been through the process of applying to american schools. I am very interested in applying to CWRU for Fall 2005. I was wondering what the application process is like and when do you start applying? Thanks alot!

P.S. Can i take the MCAT this summer (2004) and still apply for med school in september?

Happy New Year to you too!

I don't know much about CWRU cuz I didn't apply there, so my advice is pretty generic. All US schools are similar though in that they want you to take the MCAT in April of the year you are applying, but if you take it in August and do well (35+) you shouldn't be at that big of a disadvantage. Taking it in April allows US schools to see your complete application by August, so you can get interviews from August-October and get accepted as early as October 15. But again, taking it in April is recommended but if you feel you can ace it in August then taking it then may be the better route.

Guest thesaug

Hi Rome1,

I applied to CWRU this year. Follow everything moo wrote. CWRU's secondary application is a two page personal essay regarding a topic unrelated to medicine. It is totally up to you to pick this topic.

When it comes to applying, I would recommend that you send your primary (the AMCAS) application by July.

Good luck!

Thanks moo and thesaug for your replies. You have been very helpful!

thesaug, i was wondering if you apply by July, when do you get the secondary apps and when do interviews occurs?

Guest thesaug

Hi Rome1,

It all depends when u write the MCAT. If you decide to take the April MCAT, then you should start getting secondaries by late July, throughout August and even after. Most should come in the summer. If you complete these secondaries within the summer months, your file should go to the admissions committee and be reviewed fairly quickly, and you could have decisions of whether to be interviewed, placed on hold or no interview starting to come in September. Some schools are slow though. I have been getting interview offers in December although my files was complete in August. It is also possible that the school had placed my file for a second review before granting me an interview.

This again though depends on the MCAT. Writing the August MCAT may pose a slight disadvantage if your score is not very high, as moo pointed out.

Hope this helps you out! Good luck!

thesaug

Archived