Premed 101 Forums

MCAT

Guest lidia

Guest westsimba

Last year the MCAT cut off for OOP was 10.5 and I recall the AGPA being 3.9.

I anticipate the MCAT cutoff may rise to 10.75 this year and the AGPA may rise a little as well.

All OOP that meet the MCAT and AGPA cutoffs are invited for an interview. There are approximately 80 OOP applicants offered an interview per year.

Best of luck!

Hey,

Thanks for the answer. At Manitoba, do you automatically get an interview if you meet the cutoffs (like Queen's)? Or do they evaluate your refs/sketch first and then decide who can be interviewed?

Thank you!!

Guest nostalg

Does anyone know when OOP interview notices are sent?

I am going to enroll in an english course next term to satisfy manitoba's english lit requirement (i'm at ubc), but if i'm not going to get an interview, I would rather not go through with the course.

thanks

Guest stone07

Is the ranking for AGPA and MCAT still 10% and 50% respectively for the cutoff phase of the applications or is that only when the final decision is made? I'm OOP and my AGPA is slightly below the cutoff (3.8) but my MCAT mark is above (11.25), would it be worthwhile applying next year?

Guest westsimba

Hi there

I will try to answer both questions in the above posts.

1) OOP interview notifications will be sent out in january as stated in the application. Keep in mind manitoba requires 6 credit hour english/french lit - a one term ubc course is equivalent to a 3 credit hour course. Therefore you need a full year lit course to satisfy the requirements.

2) The cut offs are fairly strict. If you do not meet the cutoffs for both the AGPA and the MCAT, you will not be invited to the interview. The is particular strict for OOP applicants. However keep in mind:

a) the cutoffs do change according to the applicant pool. Although the trend is to set the cutoffs higher, that is not always the case - so one never knows.

B) remember that you can drop a number of your lowest marks depending on the number of university courses you have taken. This is explained in detail in the application.

Best of luck to you both!

Guest geekpunk

Hmmm... I guess I'm somewhat borderline for receiving an interview due to my MCAT.

33P (10.75 Operative Score)

and ~4.2/4.5 aGPA

I hope the MCAT cutoff stays at 10.5 instead of going higher!!

Hey geekpunk,

You seem wise so I shall ask you a burning question. How does one calculate the operative MCAT score for U of M? I'm cool with the numbered sections but not sure about the writing sample b/c I believe there is only 12 letters. Is a "T" worth 12 in the numerical average? For example, what would a 36R be?

Guest silverjelly86

Yup . . . highest for WS is 14 for T . . . which doesn't make sense.

I got a measly N (8 if you convert it according to the U of M). Brings down my 11.3 average to a cumulative score of 10.5 >:

Guest geekpunk

grobz,

A 36R comes out to an operative score of 12.

In other words, you make the MCAT cutoffs for an OOP and have a pretty darn good chance of being accepted (since the MCAT is weighted at 50%), provided the rest of your application is ok.

In fact, if you look at the graphs that silverjelly provided in a different thread, I think ALL MB residents OR OOP applicants with an operative MCAT of 12 or above got accepted! Not sure though, I'll have to double check that...

Thanks for your responses guys. I think it might be nice to move to Winnipeg. The only problem is, because my Eng courses are from UBC, I am scrambling to pick up an extra Lit class. The problem is all of the classes are full. I wrote admissions and asked if I could pick it up in the summer, but haven't heard back.

Perhaps it is possible to go on the waiting list at UBC for english? I know here at Winnipeg Universities that many people drop a course in the first week or so, and then they start letting people in to the class starting at the top of the waiting list. Perhaps that could be an option for you for the winter/spring term.

Thanks for the advice. I am totally pissed right now because I just got an email that told me that none of my English courses count, so there is no way to get a full year class of liturature before May. I even begged them to let me scrape by because of my high english marks, high MCAT writing, and the fact that I have written a book that will be published next Sep. But still no dice. >: I guess I wasted all that time and money for nothing. I hate the hoops we have to jump though just to get a shot at becoming a doctor.

Guest geekpunk

grobz,

That definetly sucks that they won't consider your previous English classes. And you're even writing a book that's coming out and they still won't take it?!?

On the brightside, with a 36R you're bound to get a bunch of interviews at other schools.

I hope they consider my English class that I took 4 years ago... haven't received any nasty emails yet, so that's good I suppose.

Guest colours2003

grobz,

have you looked into the distance ed courses that are offered through Athabasca University. You complete the courses at your own pace, so if you have the time you could probably complete them by spring. It is at least worth looking into, if you are willing to do the extra work to be eligible for Manitoba.

Guest sweetstuff25

wow, 36R is an incredible score. i would donate my arms for sumthing like that. not being able to apply to manitoba ain't a big deal, i'm sure all the other med schools are drooling for you anyway. dang you also published a book??? i havent read one in years. you are pretty amazing. keep u're chin up.:)

Guest westsimba

Hi there

I realize that the english requirement is a common area of frustration for many applicants. The ability to read and write and understand language is very important in medicine. It may sound a bit silly, but a lot of people with an undergrad degree can't even string together a paragraph properly.

Manitoba cannot waive the eng requirement for one applicant for obvious reasons. Many people prepare for medicine a few years before they actually apply and inquiring about possible courses that would satisfy the prereq requirements. For those applicants whom are just scrambling to apply everywhere in their last year of undergrad, this may be very annoying. On the other hand, if one had decided to apply to manitoba back in their first year of undergrad, it would be relatively easy to call the office and ask for the appropriate literature course at your respective institutions. The key is preparing for the prerequisites before you actually hand in your application.

Archived