Premed 101 Forums

course load

Guest choti

Guest choti

Hi,

I am in a bit of a tricky situation. I switched programs during my undergrad, so while next year will be my fourth year in my new program, it will be my fifth year in university overall. I have always taken full course loads in university (five full courses a year). However, next year I could safely complete my degree with only four courses. Would this jeopardize my chances at successfully applying to Calgary? Will my grades from my final year even be considered for medicine application purposes? I should also mention that I am an OOP (Ontario) applicant.

thank you so much for your guidance

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

This should not impact your chances of receiving an interview at Calgary. The only caveat is that, if you are granted a spot in the medical school class, it will probably be conditional upon achieving a certain, minimum GPA.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest ctrain07

You could also consider taking 5 courses in the first semester, and 3 in the second. U of C does not consider the last semester when making first round acceptances, since final transcripts do not have to be sent until June 1. If you get an acceptance you only have to maintain a 3.00 average in whatever courses you are taking in that final semester, regardless of how many you take. I only took 3 courses in my final semester this year and my acceptance is still A-OK.

Plus, you kill two birds with one stone this way. Take a full load first semester to keep your transcripts looking "full", and have a nice easy final semester before (hopefully!) gearing up again for med school in the fall :hat

I agree completely with what Kirsteen suggests though. I don't think taking 4 courses at a time would hurt you in the least bit......

Archived