Premed 101 Forums

Congrats Kirsteen!

Guest arar

Hi!

I was just browsing through the UBC forum and noticed that you've been accepted off the waitlist for UBC! It must feel wonderful to have multiple acceptances!! Have you decided whether you will, in fact, be joining us in Calgary in a few short weeks or whether you'll be taking the trek down to BC?

Take care,

arar

Guest Lorae

hehe... katwoman is as eager to meet you as everyone! Congrats are definitely in order! :rollin

I have to give you the "go with your heart" vote. As much as I'm sure you'd be a tremendous addition to the calgary family, no one will blame you if you decide to switch. We all know it comes down to our heart's desire so if you're graced with multiple offers you should choose what's best for you (of course if that keeps you at U of C then all the better :D )

Good luck with your decision!!

Guest sn0w0wl

Hey Kirsteen,

The UBC forum is just buzzing about you! Many congrats on having options. Have you put any money down in Calgary yet? I withdrew from the UBC waitlist the other week when I paid my security deposit on my new flat. (Though they probably got the hint when I didn't get my grad student letter to them by the 1st.)

See you on one side of the mountains or the other...

sn0

Guest Koppertone

Congrats again! Now you have the difficult choice of picking schools. It sounds easy, but when it comes right down to it, it can make you feel kind of sick :P

Guest Kirsteen

Hi all,

Well, I'm in for the penny and in for the pound at Calgary. After a good bit of thinking of all the pros and cons, I'm very happy to be definitely joining you all in the Calgary class on August 4th. :D (Difficult to believe that all my stuff here in TO will be upacked in my new place in Calgary next Thursday.)

I hope you guys are enjoying the remainder of our last summer before medical school. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest taos77

Hey Kirsteen--Two thumbs up on all your excellent success this year. Just wondering, however, what you think made the difference in your applications this time around? More time on the essay? I'll be applying again next year and was just curious how you may have changed things around (this will be my 4th time trying). By the way....did you apply to the MD/PhD program at UBC? You had hinted in one of your posts that you had but it wasn't really clear.

T77

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there T77,

I had interviewed for the UBC MD/PhD program a couple of years ago and was betwixt and between whether to apply to it again this year, but decided at the last minute to apply to only the UBC MD program. (Although I did apply to a UofT PhD program separately.)

There were a number of factors that I believe helped contribute to my application success this year: 1) I did spend a very large amount of time on writing both, the medical school essays and the extracurricular activities; 2) although my early undergraduate performance didn't reflect my current academic ability, (and was probably the biggest hindrance to my medical school applications in the past), I made every effort to be a top-notch graduate student. That equated to researching and publishing like a wee fiend, applying for every award out there, presenting at umpteen national and international conferences, and being geniuinely interested and involved in the activities and issues of my graduate environment. Consequently, my graduate productivity was most likely the biggest differentiator at each of the four schools where I interviewed this year. :)

Best of luck to you,

Kirsteen

Congratulations Kristeen on your success and your difficult decision. I know how difficult it must have been for you as I had to make the exact same decision. You are going to be a great asset to the class of 2007 and I look forward to meeting you in a few weeks.

Ciao

Guest Spicy Aam

Hey Kirsteen,

Congrats on making the decision - I know how difficult the decision can be. I'm excited to have you as a classmate and fellow colleague for the years to come.

Spicy

Archived