Premed 101 Forums

What have people done to prepare for residency?

Guest Spicy Aam

Guest Spicy Aam

Hello,

Just wondering, with Calgary's unique timeline, how have present or past students at the UofC prepared for the Carms process? What kinds of things did you do to prove to the interviewers that you were truly interested in the specialty/field of choice? I know Calgary does well when it comes to matching, but I'm just wondering how a Calgary student can match with their first choice, within an accelerated program.

Thanks for any assistance!!

Spicy

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there (again),

I second Spicy's queries here. I welcome the opportunity to be able to tackle the MD degree efficiently and get out and on the road to practicing, but it would be great to find out more specifics re: career options/counseling, etc., at Calgary.

For one, if I'm not too direly in need of the two-week break by December then I'd like to use the time to do a little career path exploring. Did any of you who have been through this use any of that time in any way to help you determine the area in which you'd like to practice? Whether this initial two-week idea is viable or not will remain to be seen. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest sn0w0wl

Good question...

Kirsteen, just a thought--even if you're not in need of a holiday, you might find it difficult to get in touch with physicians during that time, as they themselves might be looking forward to time off. (I realize, of course, that hospitals run 24/7, but it might still be sketchy finding a sponsor.) I've heard the same thing about scheduling electives/rotations so that you're not doing something important (to you) when the physicians are on holiday (summer or winter). It sounds like there is time during the regular schedule to do observerships, etc.

Archived