Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist

Guest Jazzey

Guest Jazzey

I'm in a sticky situation regarding being on the OOP waitlist and possibly switching apartments here in Edmonton. Does anyone have an idea of when the major movement on this list will take place? Before July 2? After July 2?

If anyone had any idea (based on previous years) that would be really great and would help me a lot make some decisions about committing to leases and putting down some non-refundable cash!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Given the emergence of the Ontario school acceptances this week, it's possible that there will be some waitlist activity by mid-June, when folks have begun to make their choices. From around here, it looks as though some people with multiple acceptances have already made up their minds and taken some action. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 2 weeks later...

Frogcanada, a belated congratulations!

Jazzey,

There is movement on the oop waitlist as I just got an offer. I actually thought I took my name off the waitlist already, but I guess my century old fax machine made it illegible. Hope this helps somebody out. Good luck.

Guest Makunouchi

hope an OOP on this board (e.g. Jazzey) gets contacted soon... I just xpressed a letter declining the offer.

good luck!

Guest Jazzey

Thanks so much to everyone for their updates. I really appreciate it :)

I actually did speak to Susan earlier this week and she said the OOP waitlist was barely moving. Is this the double cohort year? I was thinking that the general trend seems to be that waitlists have been moving less and less in recent years, and perhaps the double cohort year will just amplify this trend across the country.

In any case, good luck to everyone still waiting!

Guest rudirudi

i contacted susan and she said most of the movement on the oop waitlist usually comes mid-july...does anyone know the logic behind this? rudi.

Guest frogcanada

I'm not sure, but it may have something to do with the July 2 deadline when Ontario schools' applicants' acceptances become 'firm'. I think once that date passes, they are confirmed at a school, so they may drop themselves from Calgary's wait list at that point??

FC

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I side with frogcanada's hypothesis. After the July 2nd Ontario deadline, it probably takes the Ontario medical schools a couple of days to send out their acceptances, and in the case of the schools that mail them, a couple of days on top of that for the waitlisted applicant to receive it. Thereafter, count in a couple of days for the applicant to make their decision then a couple of more days for Calgary to inform the next waitlistee.

In all, I imagine that occupying a position on the Calgary waitlist might be a little more harrowing given the relatively early class start date.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Makunouchi

Hi Kirsteen,

I've decided to study in Toronto.

That's quite the award you received (thread in Toronto forum) - unanimously eh! Congrats! That's a good sign that they recognize how much you've accomplished and how much potential you have as a clinician-scientist!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Makunouchi,

I've decided to study in Toronto.
Well done! I'm sure you'll have a fabbo time there. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Makunouchi

Hi Kirsteen,

Well done! I'm sure you'll have a fabbo time there. :)

Thanks - spent some time seriously considering the options.

Anyhow, I'm sure you'll have a great time at Calgary or maybe I'll see you in Toronto!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Anyhow, I'm sure you'll have a great time at Calgary or maybe I'll see you in Toronto!
You know, I can understand why some of the other Ontario schools might be a little miffed with the likes of Ottawa who send out their acceptances relatively early, via e-mail. Thinking about and planning to attend one medical school really reinforces a resolve to go there. As such, I'm pretty psyched about many of the unique positives that the Calgary program has to offer. Any of us attending any school across the country this fall are pretty fortunate and we'll all be offered great opportunities for a great education. :)

All the best,

Kirsteen

Guest Makunouchi

Oh yeah, no doubt that one can't go wrong with any medical school in Canada. Calgary made a smart move to send out acceptances that early.

Hope the moving goes smoothly!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! Has anyone heard of anyone getting off the waitlist recently? Just curious to know if there has been any movement at all?

Does anyone know if most of the movement on the IP list would have already occured?

Thanks,

MMCL

Archived