Premed 101 Forums

More questions!!

Guest westsimba

Guest westsimba

Hey y'all...

it seems that the manitoba discussions are pretty quiet these days. Just a couple points:

1) For those of us Ontario kids, we're use to going to Ikea for student-priced furniture. Where do people go in Winnipeg. I don't really want Zeller's/walmart stuff, but don't want to pay thousands for a couch/bed either. All you Manitobans...any thoughts??

2) Am I the only one that finds the College of Physicans of MB forms confusing. Beth Jennings said that some of the forms might be changing...?? How is everyone doing with those?? Can we wait till O-week to give them back to her??

Can't believe I'll be meeting everyone in about a month - hopefully we'll have a close-knit class!

Guest mosquitoba

Hi Westsimba

I agree, it has been pretty quiet around here. I'm thinking that this is probably because the rest of our class is out doing something interesting, and because I have a boring desk job I can't help but compulsively check this forum all day! :b

To give my opinion on some of your questions:

1) Sadly, we have no Ikea here in Manitoba. This is a travesty, I know. I can't think of any place with the same affordability in Winnipeg. If it were me, I would order the main things (bed, couch) from Ikea and have them ship it here - you'll probably still save cash, since you don't want to go the particle-board route and buy from Zeller's/Walmart. There are nice furniture places here, but you would be spending more, possibly much much more, than you would at Ikea. My thinking is, you're going to be here for 4 years, you might as well enjoy the furniture in your apartment! (by the way, have you had any luck with apartment hunting?) In fact, I plan on ordering from Ikea to furnish my own place!

2) CPSM forms - to be honest I haven't looked at them that closely yet. I thought that we were supposed to fill them out and NOT send them back to the College, but to return them to someone in the office by the 24th of August, which is during O-week.... (I'd double check this though, because I'm not sure and I don't have the forms with me to check them right now.)

I really hope we have a close class too - my friends now going into Med II really enjoy their class, so hopefully we'll be just as lucky! Have you been to Winnipeg any other time than for your interview? Any other questions?

Mosquitoba

Guest ManitobaMed

Hi!

Ikea charges a flat fee for shipping, which we U of M meds folks like to take advantage of. Many of us catalogue/web shop from Ikea, as there is nothing even remotely similar here (and the nearest Canadian Ikea is in Calgary). A couple of classmates and I simply placed one bulk order over the phone, had everything delivered to one place, and split the shipping (which I believe was ~$50). The big disadvantages to web/catalogue shopping are that some of the cool accessory items can't be ordered and Ikea doesn't like shipping breakables (e.g. mirrors).

WRT the forms, I 'm afraid I can't help you (being totally incompetent in completing forms, myself). I suggest asking the admin whether they NEED to be in before O-week.

I agree that the forms are confusing. I was planning on just filling in what I can and mailing it in, if anything is wrong I was hoping they would tell me.

Guest Matty J K

Ice bowl is in Edmonton this toward the end of September. You can hit the IKEA and bring your stuff home then. That is if you find an hour or two to be sober.

Matty K

med 3

Guest Mooshme

Not really sure how well a weekend of drinking and furniture shopping will go together.. Although I'm sure you'd come back with some interesting things. Ice Bowl is Sept 23-25 this year, so if you can live without furniture for a month you're set. Aside from that EQ3 is a relatively cheap furniture store worth checking out. Winnipeg also has a "knock-off" IKEA called JYSK which sells cheap pine furniture, but has very little selection. I recently ordered some pieces from IKEA online and it took ~10 business days to deliver. Apparently IKEA is planning on building in the south end.. when is the question..

Guest westsimba

Hey Guys

Can someone fill me in on what sort of stuff goes on during orientation...I know it'll probably be party hardy along with some admin stuff. What is the schedule sort of like??

Thanks for all the help about furniture, I'll definitely check out JYSK and the Brick probably.

It turns out that I will be living in the Med Centre Apts...can anyone give me some tips on the place. TV/internet plans?? phone/long-distance plans??

Thanks y'all - less than one month and counting....!

Archived