Premed 101 Forums

Yet another query - Anatomy

Guest Makunouchi

Guest Makunouchi

I've been searching through old threads and there was some mention about students having the option of dissecting a cadaver if interested.

Has any current student here done so (or know someone who has done so)?

If so, how is it organized and how much is available for the student to do?

Thanks!

Guest Jerika81

Huffer might be able to tell you more about this because I think he did a dissection this year, but basically, you need to get a group of probably at least 4 people that are interested in doing a dissection and willing to make the time commitment. Then you get in touch with whoever is in charge of anatomy (has always been Dr. Doran thus far but not sure about next year) and they will give you a cadaver and you have to schedule times to meet with the anatomy instructor so they can help you with the dissection. I think it's a pretty big time commitment, probably about 2 hours a week or so.

I spent a couple hours dissecting with Huffer's group to check it out and I enjoyed it but wanted to use my free time for other purposes so I never did any more. But for those interested it is a great opportunity, and also nice because it's more one-on-one than if you were doing it with a whole class, and you could certainly learn a lot.

Archived