Premed 101 Forums

Two questions for current U of C meds.

Guest luch

Guest luch

Does the med school or hospital have gym? Also do the Calgary med students have their own building like the students do in Van.?

Thanks

Guest Jerika81

About the building-

I assume you already know that the medical school is not on the main U of C campus since you must have come here for your interview, although I guess a lot of people may have been so focused on the interview that they didn't notice the med school is not on U of Cs main campus:D (unless you are a new applicant and haven't ever been here). So I'm not sure if that was what you meant by your question about having our own building. The building where all our classes etc. are is connected to the Foothills hospital as well as research buildings, and there are some health sciences classes held in the building as well, so it is not "our" building in that sense. But I don't know anything about UBC's med building so I don't know how to compare the two.

About the gym-

There is a small gym in the basement of the health sciences building, but there is a much nicer and bigger one on the main campus (15 min walk/5 min drive away), as well as access to the track, swimming pool, squash courts, etc.

Guest luch

Sorry I should have made that clearer. At UBC the med students have their own building (only for students) it was built for them by the BCMA I believe. It contains a gym, recreation room, conference room and has a large outside patio with BBQ. I was just wondering if UofC had something similar but I think you answered my question.

Just trying to decide where I want to study for the next 3 or 4 years.

Thanks for the quick response.

Guest Ian Wong

It's the MSAC (Medical Student Alumni Center), located across from VGH at 12th and Heather. It's where the Health Sciences Bookstore is also located. It's a neat little building with lockers, showers, pool table, computers with a printer and high-speed internet, outdoor patio with a couple propane barbeques/fridges/freezer, TV, conference area, etc. There's a lot of functions held there, such as the UBC Admissions Wine and Cheese, meetings, the occasional wedding, and all med students have 24 hour access to it via an electronic keycard.

Ian

Guest Jerika81

Hey luch,

Wow, that sounds like a nice building.

We don't exactly have an equivalent at U of C, but we do have access to most of the same things that were mentioned.

We'll be getting a swanky new student lounge in August which will have microwaves/fridge/freezer as well as TV, foosball, a piano, and I'm sure things like pool tables etc. will be arranged if they are in high demand.

The gym/locker/showers are in the basement of the building.

We have computer/internet access in the Health Sciences library which is accessible to anyone (public), but we also have our own "private" computer/internet access in the BACS student center (also being renovated for august) and there is free printing there. Plus we have our free Palms which have wireless internet access within the Health Sciences building.

Now what we are definitely missing is a patio and BBQ. That would be awesome! Perhaps it's something that could be looked in to...:D

Guest arar

Does anyone know if the incoming class wil get the Palms again this year? I couldn't find anything about them in the info. package...

Thanks!

arar

Archived