Premed 101 Forums

USMLE needed in which state?

Guest westsimba

Guest westsimba

Does anyone know which states require the USMLE to practice and which ones will take your LMCC (MCCQE)?

I recall seeing a list where about half the states require it and half don't.

Guest PanjabiMD

I think that only a few (2-3) states DO NOT REQUIRE the USMLE. All other states require it.

As to which states don't... I think Minnesota falls into that category. Not 100% sure, but you could probably find that information somewhere.

PMD

Guest Jochi1543

No, Minnesota requires it. I would suggest Googling some Deep South states, they are behind the rest of America in everything, so if USMLEs are not required anywhere, it'd be there.

Guest Anish  P

hey westsimba... I found some information on the AMA's website which may (hopefully) be useful...

--- A quote from the ECFMG medical licensing FAQ found here:

Q. I am a Canadian physician. What do I need to do to practice medicine in the U.S.?

A. Physicians from Canada who want to practice in the US need to learn about the policies of the state licensing board for the state in which they want to practice.

Overall, the state licensing boards for almost all states in the US consider physicians who have completed medical school in Canada as equivalent to US medical graduates. 44 boards endorse the Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada (LMCC) as evidence of passing an acceptable licensing examination. The few that don’t (Florida, Guam, Hawaii, Louisiana, Michigan, New Jersey, North Carolina, Puerto Rico, South Carolina and the Virgin Islands) would require that you take the USMLE examinations for licensure here.

Every state and territory (except for Guam) accepts residency training from an accredited program in Canada as equivalent to training in the US. However, if a physician graduated from a medical school outside Canada or the US, he or she would need to check with the individual state licensing board for their rules.

Please be aware that physicians should also look into US visas and immigration policies as they prepare to move to the US.

---

So it seems to be that the majority of states accept the LMCC in lieu of the USMLEs. There is also a more detailed listing of the requirements for each state's medical licensing board here; it expands upon the info that I quoted above.

If you're super interested in practicing in the states, there's also some book you can buy off that same AMA website that I assume would answer any and all possible questions about this topic... but its $80 :rolleyes .

Hope this helps!

Anish

Guest UTMed07

At U of T they have a talk on the USMLE every year. I went to it last year-- the guy that gave the talk basically said what Anish said above (that is most states will accept a LMCC as equivalent to have passed the steps of the USMLE). The main advantage of having written the USMLE, as a licenced physician in Canada, is (as I understand it) for immigration purposes; if you're looking to move south and don't have a sponsor the immigration stuffs is more complicated.

As a med student there are other reasons one may consider writing the USMLE:

1) only way to a US residency program

2) may make getting a US fellowship easier

• 2 weeks later...
Guest avenirv

i'd find it very clarifying if people supporting their posts should show the source of their information.

otherwise is PURE disinformation and not fair.

"i think so" is not a valid justification as "i didn't know" too.

Archived