Premed 101 Forums

Is it easier to get into a MD program in Canada these days?

Guest atworknow

Guest atworknow

Hi, I got 2 questions that I hope to get the insight from you guys.

1. Is it easier to get into UBC Med school these days due to the expansion of the program from 128 students in the past to 224 students this year?

Do you guys think it is easier?

2. Do you guys think that the shortage of physicians in Canada still apply even after 10 years from now? My worry is, if I do get into medicine next year, by the time I graduate, will it be too many physicians already, due to the recent expansion of the MD program (particularly in BC)?

THANKS A LOT FOR ALL YOUR INSIGHT.

Guest Koppertone

I can't answer 1, but for number 2 you should have no worries. I had a talk with a doc on our University's admin who said that the reason we need spots is because right now retirements exceed current student supply. We have a lot of catching up to do to make up for this shortfall. (I'm sure some stats would be nice but this was word of mouth)

Guest westsimba

Hi there

I don't think you have anything to worry about in terms of job prospects for physicians.

1) As the population ages, the demand on health services will ultimately increase. Older patients require more visits to the physician as well a more time per visit. Undoubtedly, more physicians will be needed to fill this void.

2) The traditional role of someone graduating from a MD program to solely become a clinician is fading. Students who graduate from MD programs nowadays pursue research, wroking public health, work in industry and a whole range of things.

Don't see the MD program as a a journey to becoming a doctor in its more traditional sense, but rather opening the doors to endless possibilities.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

With respect to your first question, it should be easier overall, i.e., the odds will be better, of gaining entry to UBC this year relative to previous years as long as the number of applications received stays relatively constant. However, in previous years, when some of the western schools have increased their class sizes, application numbers tended to rise, especially from out-of-province candidates. So, although I have not recently looked at success rates for applicants, it might be the case that for some groups of applicants, e.g., out-of-province, the competition becomes stiffer, i.e., the number of applications-to-quota-ratio increases.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

Regarding point 2...(warning, blatant name-dropping ahead!)

I spoke with Dr. Schumacher, the past president of the CMA, yesterday and he told me an interesting fact. Canada is only training 4 docs for every 5 docs we currently have, while in most other countries the ratio is 6:5.

Considering that it takes at least 6 years to train a physician, that existing schools are bursting at the seams, and building and accrediting new medical schools takes a huge amount of time and effort, the *last* thing we as a country have to worry about is having too many physicians. My own personal estimate is that there will be 20+ years when we don't have enough docs, and sometimes I wonder if we'll still have physician shortages when I'm ready to retire.

And even if we were facing a physician glut -- if it's what you love and think that you were meant to do, then just do it.

pb

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFDH7Zi/HNgbK3bC2wRAjFsAKCbh3Np78X/Zmqt66P+ZRu+ZlaKnQCfY3TP

8TIPEhIYZVkdHC8bzR9FKk8=

=gNoh

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Guest adduction

I feel I can comment on point 1.

I don't think it got any easier because of the seat expansion. You have to keep in mind that even back when they accepted 128...many of the exceptionally qualified applicants didn't make it in. The fact that they're accepting 224 doesn't make it easier for EVERYONE to get in...it just affects those who are at the top of the application pool.

I don't know if I agree with the fact that the applicant number stayed relatively constant in the last few years. In 2003 (when they were accepting the first batch of 200 students for the expansion) there were 1300 applicants and when i applied last year they had 1413 applications. (113 more applications for 24 more spots).

If you want some basic numbers:

2003 entering class = 128

Interviewed Students = 350

so basically 1/3 chance of being admitted = each student had to beat out two others...

2005 entering class= 224

Interviewed Students > 600

So again, basically a 1/3 chance of being admitted if you reach the interview stage (have to beat out two others post-interview).

Archived