Premed 101 Forums

CARDIAC SURGERY

Guest cryo

hey

does anyone know if you can go into cardiac surgery residence directly from med school or do you have to do general surgery first

thnx

Guest UWOMED2005

Cardiac Sx is a 5 year program straight out of medical school.

In this day and age, most cardiac surgeons also do a post-residency fellowship (1 or 2 years?)

The competitiveness varies greatly year to year. . . over the last few years there have been years where 2 people have ranked it #1 for each cardiac sx spot, other years the ratio has been less than 1:1.

What about the projected utility of this specialty? I seem to recall a prior discussion of cardiac surgery itself (in the traditional sense) becoming obsolete. Am I mistaken? Can anyone more familiar with the system comment on this?

Thanks,

Guest marbledust
Oops - my bad!

I suppose I shouldn't be correcting somebody who could very well turn out to be my junior resident very shortly :lol

Guest UTMed07
What about the projected utility of this specialty? I seem to recall a prior discussion of cardiac surgery itself (in the traditional sense) becoming obsolete. Am I mistaken? Can anyone more familiar with the system comment on this?
I think cardiac surgery is on a downward trend. The bread 'n butter of cardiac surgeon has been CABGs and these are being replaced by medical treatment and angioplasty+stenting. Valve repair/replacement isn't going to go away... but even that is changing and isn't as frequent as it used to be with antibiotics (... rheumatic fever/heart disease is getting harder to find). I think the speciality will contract somewhat in the next few years... and most especially in the US where they do 2-3X as much surgery with almost no additional benefit.

-----------------------

Some articles...

Canadian-American Differences in the Management of Acute Coronary Syndromes in the GUSTO IIb Trial

circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/102/12/1375

Circulation. 2000;102:1375.

Debate: PCI or CABG for multivessel disease? Viewpoint: No clear winner in an unfair fight

bmc.ub.uni-potsdam.de/cvm-2-6-260/

Curr Control Trials Cardiovasc Med 2001 2(6):260-262

Guest Ian Wong

In Canada, cardiac surgery is entered directly as a cardiac surgery residency following med school. In the US, cardiac surgery is usually done as a cardiac surgery fellowship following a General Surgery residency.

Ian

Guest UWOMED2005

There was, however, a study published within the last month in the NEJM that showed CABG to still be superior to stenting as a definitive treatment for coronary artery disease. Can't remember the specifics. . . I'll try and find it and post a link.

Marbledust - don't worry about it. I'll just pimp you repeatedly in front of the consult. . . lol. . . but seriously, don't worry about it. :D

Guest therealcrackers

Valves will still need to be done. CABG will still be done in a subset of patients. Three surgeries plus trauma... that's the future.

Archived