Premed 101 Forums

Interventional Cardiology

Guest fierysweet

Guest fierysweet

Ok, I know this post actually belongs in one of the speciality forums, but I've posted my question there a couple of weeks ago and got no feedback, so I'll try here.

I'd like to find out about Interventional Cardiology. What's this specialty all about? Is it in demand? Is it easy to find jobs in Canada or would you have to stick to the big city centres? Does it pay well?

Any info. would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

This is one specialty that I am considering on my shortlist, so I hope I can answer some of your questions:

Basically, Interventional Cardiologists (ICs) complete a year or so of fellowship training beyond their general internal medicine and cardiology training. This extra year is used primarily to learn IC skills, e.g., catheterization, angioplasty, etc. Given the consistent increase in heart disease prevalence in North America, ICs won't have a problem finding jobs, although I've heard that certain cities, i.e., New York, are reaching saturation points. Given that IC is a specialty based in more tertiary centres, I would assume that it could be a little more challenging to find such a job in rural areas, although if any given area has the equipment, IC jobs could be sustained there, presumably. Pay: define "well". :) It really depends on your caseload, although on average, I'd say that ICs do better than pediatricians and family docs, and perhaps are on par with gastroenterologists in terms of billings.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived