Premed 101 Forums

Does the queen GPA cutoff go up every year?

Guest UR1FOOLINS

Guest UR1FOOLINS

I was just wondering this, mostly because at the end of this year my gpa will be 3.66 on the dot, and given that Queen's will not receive my marks for the next year of my studies when deciding on who to invite for an interview, i'm trying to gauge my chances.

The double cohorts will start applying next year i suppose, so i'm just wondering if there's been a consistent rise in the number of applicants and their GPA?

Guest hickfromsticks

Two years ago it was 3.59. Last year it was 3.62. This year is was 3.66. I don't think that 3.66 will be good enough next year, but this is pure speculation. The double cohort will likely affect the # of applicants and the GPA cut-offs in a very significant way, unfortunately. All you can do (and what I'm doing) is study like mad and pray that the increase in applicants is not too huge!

Guest UR1FOOLINS

If i were taking single semester courses (half credits) next year...would it be possible for them to factor those grades in my cGPA, or do they have to wait until the entire year is completed?

Guest ven0s

Hey there,

As described in other posts, if your cGPA isn't above the cutoff, Queen's also looks at your recent two full-time years, so that may put you over the cutoff.

I don't think that they would take half year courses completed during the fall. Your transcripts that you send in for the Oct. deadline are what they go by to determine GPA.

You do have to send in transcripts in the summer if you are accepted, but that is to determine whether your GPA is still above the cutoff. If your final GPA is not above the cutoff, then I believe that admission is revoked.

Best wishes with your April exams then!

Guest UR1FOOLINS

such a bummer, since meeting the cutoff is so key in the Queen's process. I've heard from several people that everyone is on the same footing once you get an interview. Is this true?

Guest ven0s

It sure is.

Queen's evaluates those getting interviews in the follwing manner:

Interview - 50%.

Answers to the five questions (this does not your autobiographical sketch, then) - 50%

Guest antissa

Are you guys sure that 50% is for the PIF, not including sketch and letters? On the interview invite letter, they wrote:

"... final ranking of candidates will be determined from the assessment of the Confidential Letters of Reference, the Queen's Personal Information Form, the autobiographic sketch (50%), and the interview (50%)."

That makes it sound like the first 3 are cumulatively worth 50% :|

Guest seedstrike

We are told that the remaining 50 % includes your five questions as well as sketch/Ref letters. A committee reads everyone's application package and scores the PIF/Sketch/Ref Letters. The score is combined with the interview score (50% as well) to come up with your final score.

Guest Sarah371

Your answers to the questions and letters are scored by three people.....a medical student (4th year), faculty and a community person. They score them based on a prescribed set of criteria. The scores are then compared and the group meets is there is any huge discrepancy in score between the three readers. I know the scores of the interview and written stuff is standardized across groups as some people score harder than others.

Good luck to all

SARAH

Guest UR1FOOLINS

What happens if your GPA is 3.7252..does it get rounded up to 3.73 or down to 3.72 because there's only a number of digits they take?

• 1 year later...

Archived