Premed 101 Forums

bursaries

Guest md23

Hi,

just wanted to know if anyone could provide some info on bursaries, ie when/how to apply. Don't remember hearing anything at the interview weekend other than the average first year student received approx 7 thousand last year. Any insight would be appreciated. thanks

md23

Guest seedstrike

Hey,

Don't worry about bursaries just yet. The deadline is quite late in the year so you will have plenty of time to put in an application. Pretty much the rule of thumb is that if you are getting anything through OSAP (or a loan from another province) then you should get a bursary from queen's as well.

Bursaries last year ranged from 0 to ~12000/year. Also, you find out whether or not you have qualified for a bursary some time in the beginning of second semester (i.e. January). So you shouldn't depend on bursaries to get you by for the first 4 months of the school.

Guest drews97

I don't know if it's 100% true that if you get a loan from OSAP or another province you'll get a bursary from Queen's. I had a $10000+ student loan from Alberta and got nothing. A number of other factors come into play. If you're out of highschool from LESS than 5 years you are still considered a dependant and your parent's income is taken into consideration. So, if you're less than 5 years out of highschool and your parents make a lot your chances decrease. Also, whether you carry a debt-load from undergrad or not is significant. Some of the people who got the biggest bursaries had the biggest debt loads from undergrad. I'm not sure as I totally agree with this as it often seems to reward those who spent the most 'freely'. Anyway, Queen's is good with bursaries but don't expect to get too much in first year is you're 4 years or less out of highschool, your parents earn a reasonable amount, and you have little prior debt.

• 2 years later...

Archived